Suzuki Forums: How to Replace the FRONT Brake Pads, Pics Included!! - Suzuki Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to Replace the FRONT Brake Pads, Pics Included!! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   4literranger485 

• I hate Brad!
  • Group: Global Moderator
  • Bike:1100, 450, 400

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

ADMIN PLEASE DON'T DELETE MY WRITE-UP AGAIN!:lol

All right lets start to get those front binders in serious order. A quick upgrade for your front braking system is some trick aftermarket pads. I'll be adding EBC HH pads in place of the stock ones on my GSX-R750.

First we'll lay out some basic tools needed for the job, nothing out of the ordinary:

Posted Image

and the sexy new pads:

Posted Image

first you will need to remove the two brake pad mounting pins from the caliper.

Posted Image

Next remove the two caliper mounting bolts, and remove the caliper from the disc. Be careful not to scratch up your rim, this will be a tight squeeze! Also, do not allow the caliper to hang by the brake line or put excessive pressure on the lines.

Posted Image

Now your old pads should just pop right out. Be sure the spacers between the caliper and the mount don't get lost. I just leave them seated in the caliper mounts where they belong. Use some brake clean and a rag to clean the pistons. You'll also need to press the pistons back into the caliper to allow the thicker new pads to slide over the disc.

Posted Image

Next you'll want to take the metal backing plates off of the stock pads and put them onto the new pads. Then you can go ahead and put the new pads into the caliper. Be careful when handling the new pads. You do not want to get your grubby little dick beaters all over the friction material. If you do, CLEAN THE PADS! Clean brakes function properly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now you'll want to thread the pad mounting pins in a couple turns so the pads aren't falling out while you re-install the caliper. Make sure the pads are seated in their respective sides to allow ample clearance for the disc in between. Re-install the caliper over the brake disc. Make sure those spacers are there again!

Posted Image

Now go ahead and tighten everything up. Torque to the specs provided in your manual. For the k6/k7 600/750's the pad mounting pins are 11 lb/ft, and the caliper mounting bolts are 25.5 lb/ft. Squeeze the front lever a few times to seat the pads and make sure the brake pressure builds back up.

Posted Image

The other front caliper is exactly the same as the first.

Complete both sides, and now you'll be ready to roll stoppies like Jason Britton :lol

(just kidding, stoppies can hurt and get you made fun of. just ride!)

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Suzuki-Forums.net

#2 User is offline   R1Lover 

• Loving Life
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationYuba City, CA
  • Bike:07 R1, 05 V-Rod

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the work on these write up's :lol :lol

Rep'd ya

and I put the FRONT and REAR in BOLD so they stand out... someone thought it was a duplicate thread. :)

#3 User is offline   4literranger485 

• I hate Brad!

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

RLover said:

Thanks for the work on these write up's :lol :)

Rep'd ya

and I put the FRONT and REAR in BOLD so they stand out... someone thought it was a duplicate thread. :)

I'm on to you! :beer

:lol

#4 User is offline   SoCalRider 

• X-取除かれる-X
  • Group: Members
  • Bike:K7 750 & 00 YZ250

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

:lol nice steve. i havent put a rear line on yet, but i would be glad to purchase one and let you install it on my bike. :lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks to PCP for the siggy!

#5 User is offline   4literranger485 

• I hate Brad!

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

:lol Hopefully i'll be doing mine before the end of the week :lol

#6 User is offline   NOSNelson  

• Certified Trackwhore
  • Bike:K6 > k7 for life

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:19 PM

That ratchet with the universal is dangerous.:lol
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   4literranger485 

• I hate Brad!

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:05 PM

NOS-Nelson said:

That ratchet with the universal is dangerous.:lol

:lol I couldnt find my shortest ext. for some odd reason

those universals are even more dangerous when someone has one on the impact wrench....flinging sockets across the garage area :)

#8 User is offline   Squidward 

• Level 7 awesome
  • LocationAntartica
  • Bike:Schwinn 18 speed

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:07 AM

Nice write up Steve-O, yet again!

What kind of brake clean do you use? I just use soap and water on the pistons, and some q-tips
"From a place you cannot see comes a sound you cannot hear"

#9 User is offline   Biga 

• Cry All You Want
  • Group: Administrators
  • Bike:HD BareBones

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:32 AM

4literranger485 said:

MOD PLEASE DON'T DELETE MY WRITE-UP AGAIN!:lol

I blame Ohio :lol

Nice write up :)
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   4literranger485 

• I hate Brad!

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

Captain Squid said:

Nice write up Steve-O, yet again!

What kind of brake clean do you use? I just use soap and water on the pistons, and some q-tips

usually the cheap stuff from napa. i think brake cleaner, is brake cleaner :shifty I spray it on a rag though, not just directly onto the bike. That stuff has a way of going everywhere!

#11 User is offline   brent 

• Locationkansas
  • Bike:08 GSXR 1000

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:47 AM

4literranger485 said:

:rofl I couldnt find my shortest ext. for some odd reason

those universals are even more dangerous when someone has one on the impact wrench....flinging sockets across the garage area :shifty

if you are going to use a universay with an impact, use the correct type, I'd rather have the socket flying, rather than hundreds of little shards when the chrome ones give way
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 User is offline   4literranger485 

• I hate Brad!

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:21 AM

yeah, we have this auto center on base where you can go work on your own car. some idiot had socket/universal on an impact wrench. the socket slipped off of the bolt and flung off and hit someones car. they were :shifty

#13 User is offline   NOSNelson  

• Certified Trackwhore

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:32 AM

I use a 12mm box wrench and torque it to "a little sqeak and she's perfect".:shifty
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   4literranger485 

• I hate Brad!

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

well, i haven't had my arm calibrated yet. so i'll stick to break-type torque metering devices :shifty

#15 User is offline   rich1972 

• Pip
  • Bike:Insert Bike Here

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

Firstly I just want to say a big hello to everyone and also a big thank you for this post on changing brake pads - it was really helpful and SO easy to do!

I did find out something though that is a little worrying. About a month ago I had a new rear tyre put on to my bike and I was told that my rear pads will need changing. The mechanic didnt have any in stock, so he put everything back together.

When i got to change my rear pads this weekend, I found out to my horror and disgust that the mechanic didnt put the brake pad mounting pin back in to my rear brake calliper! I have been riding around with unsecure pads in.

I would just like to say that I will not be using this particular mechanic again and please everyone - if you go to a mechanic dont automatically think that they have done the work correctly and check what they have done afterwards. I certainly will from now onwards!

#16 User is offline   NOSNelson  

• Certified Trackwhore

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

rich1972 said:

Firstly I just want to say a big hello to everyone and also a big thank you for this post on changing brake pads - it was really helpful and SO easy to do!

I did find out something though that is a little worrying. About a month ago I had a new rear tyre put on to my bike and I was told that my rear pads will need changing. The mechanic didnt have any in stock, so he put everything back together.

When i got to change my rear pads this weekend, I found out to my horror and disgust that the mechanic didnt put the brake pad mounting pin back in to my rear brake calliper! I have been riding around with unsecure pads in.

I would just like to say that I will not be using this particular mechanic again and please everyone - if you go to a mechanic dont automatically think that they have done the work correctly and check what they have done afterwards. I certainly will from now onwards!

Luckily nothing happened.:beer
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   babyfac3pn01 

• PipPip
  • Bike:2007 GSXR 600

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:21 PM

good writeup..thanks

#18 User is offline   Kappaball 

• LocationBMT, TX
  • Bike:1000L1