Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner

Lets go racing!

8K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  r4q2 
#1 ·
After going to the first round of the Actrix Superbike Series (NZ), I now have a itch that badly needs scratching!

So I have decided to turn my K3 1000 road bike into a race bike. I Know she will be sadley lacking in power, but I think she is a good bike to get started on.

I thought that this would make a good thread for others looking to start on a tight budget.

First on the list is fairings. I have managed to get hold of a guy with some, but he reckons they are in bad shape, so I'm waiting on pics to see how we go there.

A budget is another thing I'm working on, and boy does it add up!!!

Also I'm working on what I call a "letter of interest". This is a letter to give to potentual sponsors. Now this may get me nothing, but it might get something as small as brake pads. Gotta try.

Thats where I'm at so far, I'll post more with pics as we go!

See less See more
#3 ·
r4q2 said:
After going to the first round of the Actrix Superbike Series (NZ), I now have a itch that badly needs scratching!

So I have decided to turn my K3 1000 road bike into a race bike. I Know she will be sadley lacking in power, but I think she is a good bike to get started on.

I thought that this would make a good thread for others looking to start on a tight budget.

First on the list is fairings. I have managed to get hold of a guy with some, but he reckons they are in bad shape, so I'm waiting on pics to see how we go there.

A budget is another thing I'm working on, and boy does it add up!!!

Also I'm working on what I call a "letter of interest". This is a letter to give to potentual sponsors. Now this may get me nothing, but it might get something as small as brake pads. Gotta try.

Thats where I'm at so far, I'll post more with pics as we go!
Congrats man! It does get expensive very quickly, hopefully you can get the plastics for pretty cheap
Fukucacheme said:

#4 ·
congrats on getting started, you said your bike will be underpowered? Are you saying it will be underpowered for you? That still is a liter bike and it will take some seat time and experience before you are able to match your skill level to the ability of that machine. Don't start this venture thinking you are already behind because of your machine cause i promise that isn't the case. You are going to have the most fun you have ever had on a motorcyle so get ready. Also it's the most addictive thing i have ever gotten into so get ready to lose sleep waiting to get the next fix:beer

#5 ·
Fukucacheme said:
what did i say?

GEORGIADAWG said:
congrats on getting started, you said your bike will be underpowered? Are you saying it will be underpowered for you? That still is a liter bike and it will take some seat time and experience before you are able to match your skill level to the ability of that machine. Don't start this venture thinking you are already behind because of your machine cause i promise that isn't the case. You are going to have the most fun you have ever had on a motorcyle so get ready. Also it's the most addictive thing i have ever gotten into so get ready to lose sleep waiting to get the next fix:beer
I meant under powered compared to the dudes who have sunk 50k into there bikes.

I just want to go have some fun really, if I can pick up some good results then I may pick up someone to put up some cash to help out.

#6 ·
r4q2 said:
I meant under powered compared to the dudes who have sunk 50k into there bikes.
Right now starting out you wouldn't be able to run with the guys that have sunk 50K into there bikes if you had 80K sunk into yours (don't think im knocking you at all cause i hope it's not coming off like that) it will take some seat time and experience around the tracks at race pace before that will be a limiting factor for you. You will have fun and by the look of your form in your avatar you won't be placing last anyway. Good luck man seriously it really will be the most fun on 2 wheels you have had

#8 ·
r4q2 said:
small steps to start me off.

Thanks for the positive input!
i think the biggest piece of advise even im still learning is to do well in a race you have to at least finish it. Riding like a man possessed crashing every other time you get on the bike doesn't get you many points. Again it's something im still learning myself and oh how true i find it to be:fact

#9 ·
GEORGIADAWG said:
i think the biggest piece of advise even im still learning is to do well in a race you have to at least finish it. Riding like a man possessed crashing every other time you get on the bike doesn't get you many points. Again it's something im still learning myself and oh how true i find it to be:fact
why you gotta talk shit about me like that? you know i am sensitive!

he is completely correct though, as i am quickly realizing. if you are going for a championship (like we all are...) you need to be consistent. winning 1 and then crashing out of the next 2 (like i have recently done) does nothing for your points standings.

oh, and welcome to the wonderful world of debt. because once your bank account is dry (which will happen very rapidly!), you will start accumulating massive amounts of credit card debt to pay for this newfound addiction.

#10 ·
anthony said:
why you gotta talk shit about me like that? you know i am sensitive!

he is completely correct though, as i am quickly realizing. if you are going for a championship (like we all are...) you need to be consistent. winning 1 and then crashing out of the next 2 (like i have recently done) does nothing for your points standings.

oh, and welcome to the wonderful world of debt. because once your bank account is dry (which will happen very rapidly!), you will start accumulating massive amounts of credit card debt to pay for this newfound addiction.

hey we are both learning it man. And on the note about the debt part of racing i think it all depends on how hard the bug hits you but if it's anwhere near how hard it's hit me then the best i have ever heard it described is when i heard someone say this " When i got onto racing with a friend who was already a racer i asked him how much does it cost to do this" he replied "All of it"

#12 ·
GEORGIADAWG said:
hey we are both learning it man. And on the note about the debt part of racing i think it all depends on how hard the bug hits you but if it's anwhere near how hard it's hit me then the best i have ever heard it described is when i heard someone say this " When i got onto racing with a friend who was already a racer i asked him how much does it cost to do this" he replied "All of it"
u got that quote from that episode of Superbikes! but to the OP, i feel ur pain, i started racing this year aswell and its VERY addicting!!! but i'm havin a blast and meetin so cool people

#15 ·
So we arrive at the track at about 7.15, claim a spot in the free sheltered pit/horse stables and start unpacking our gear. I got the bike on the stands and put on the tyre warmers. Time to get my day licence. So I stroll over get my licence and transponder, sweet!
Once I got the transponder on I thought I'd go have a wee look see at the track seeing as I've never ride on it before. On the way back I see Jimmy walking around with a baby stroller and decide to go give him shit, I mentioned I'd never been on the track before and he so kindly offered to show me some lines in the first couple of laps in qualifing as he had a new front tyre to scrubb in, sweet!
Next was riders breifing, where I found out I'd be able to get a few laps in the scrubb in session. So I went out to get some laps in and start learning the track. It went well but i found the front chattering into turn 1 & turn 6 as well as that a couple of times I got the rear chattering from going down one gear to many, all part of the learning process I guess.
Format for the day meant that Superbike was second to last for qual so I thought I might see if i could pick up any thing from the Super Sport guys, at least see where people where braking off the pit straight. Caught up with Eddie and ArcherWC at the pit wall, both of them happy to give me some good pointers, my favorite was don't think about falling off!
Quailfing: We head out and three corners in it's obivous Jimmy's got a problem, so after the hair pin he was gone. I just did laps, trying string it all together, braking markers, turn in points, looking for any mark on the track to help remember. Managed to get 8 laps in doing a 1.14.716, which put me 13th on the grid, ahead of Eddie, Archer and...... Mr White Trash! I could of gone home right then in there, surley these guys are quacking!?
Race 1:I managed to start alright but got on the brakes to early with Jimmy shooting up the inside, coont! The first corner is insane, I've never had so many bikes going that fast so close to me. Second corner is just as bad with a few people going around the outside and then shutting the door on me. I have to be more agressive, it was hard to brake the trackday mentality and stick it up the inside. Eddie get's past going into turn 6, the bastard was quacking it up! I tryed to hang on, but it would that he is faster than I. So 6 laps later and I croos the line in 15th place. Oh well, I managed to beat about 19 others.
Race 2: Start was a balls up, but I did brake later going into turn 1, trying to hold my spot. Archer passed me I think it the entrance to Dunlop, bastard, it took me 3 laps to get past the bugga, but after that I was away, things where starting to come together and passing people seemed to get a bit easier. About half way threw the race I notice Jimmy on the side of the track, sweet, thats gunna help! Gave him toot as i went past.
I finished this one in 11th! Setting my fastest time of the day in lap 7 with a 1.14.087! Stoked! But the the best bit was I didn't bin it.

I fookin wrapped, I set myself 2 goals for my first ever raod race meet, the first, not to crash, check! The second I thought was a bit unrealistic, 10th over all on the day, well I managed 12th. Granted there was a bit of luck with some of the quick guys getting DNF's, but as they say, To finish first, first you must finish!
Ok now the kudos! Thanks to Steve and Gigabyte Solutionz, it simply would not of happened with out this guy! To the famliy for putting up with Dad being out in the shed every night for the last 3 weeks. And last but not least a huge thank you to all the people who have keept telling me "you should go racing". Good on ya mate!

Bring on Round 3!

#16 ·
that was a great write up on your first race experience, good job and congrats. There is no feeling in the world like sitting on the grid and seeing the green flag drop.

#22 ·
So it was clear that Rd 3 was going to be wet, we couldn't get hold of wets so decided to try running Pilot Power 2ct's.

I went out for scrub in and found no grip. Thinking I could get by with what we had I went out for qualifing to find things worse. My pace was just too slow compared to those on wets, I limped around and managed much to my surprise to get on the grid in 28th with a time of 1.39.412! There was so much water on the back straight that I was aquaplaning in places.

Knowing that it would be very unwise to race on said rubber we went looking, lucky for us Paul Booth from Dannevirke Suzuki had a awesome deal on a set of Conti's. Getting them fitted would mean missing race 1, but I couldn't see the point in going out to be honest.

So race 2 and we have wets, as we rode around to the starting line i found that the conti's had a much faster tip in prolly due to the fact that the PP's where a 190/55 rear and the wet's where a 180/55 rear, it was going to be a interesting race.

I guessed my grid position at the back, and had a shit start, coming into turn one pretty much last, tippy toed around trying to feel what was going on with the tyres. The race only went 2 laps before the red flag came out due to Sam Smiths off.

The race is shorted to 5 laps. I got a much better start this time sneaking up the outside between the pack and the concrete wall. Each corner I would push just a little more, I had no idea how brand new wet's would go. So after 5 laps I managed to finish 21st with a my best time 1.22.298 on the final lap. Could of been worse I suppose.

I have to say that wet race tyres are awesome! You wouldn't beleive how hard you can put the front brakes on. I put my finger on the edge of the back after the race, and it was sticky, like bubble gum!

A big thanks to Steve from Concerto Networks, Sue, Kev, Peter and Chris from MotoTT for there support and loan trailer, Expand a Sign and Chris Mitchell Motorcycles. Oh and all the volunteers that made this event happen, in the rain!

...and I left my Race Licence behind!!!!!!! Timmay!!!!

Attachments

#25 ·
These rounds start the day before for me. I take the day off work, pack my stuff and drive down etc, and as Big Steve had work commitments we where going down in the Little Red Van! 2 bikes, a trailer, racing gear and 3 dudes packed into a 1800cc toyota van, whea hey hey!

To my surprise the little red van handled the jandle without complaint, shame we had to listen to Jays 80's hit's CD's. No real incidents to speak of, apart from the Fruit havin a cry cause I wouldn't stop on the desert road so he could make a snow man.

So Saturday roll's around, overcast and wet from the over night rain.

I was still optimistic that it was going to fine up (timmay!!!), and went out for scrub in to check out the extension for the first time on Super corsa's.

The extensoin part of the track remind's me of a rich farmers driveway, nice and smooth but barley wide enough to drive a car up. That being said I enjoyed riding it, shame they don't use that layout abit more. The track was damp with not to bad grip from the SC's.

I come in, and thats when the rain started. On go the wets thanks to Jamie Rajek. What a legend! Showed me how to change them and basicley did it for me. Thanks dude!
Head out for Qual in the pissing rain. I don't mind this at all, as long as it's either wet or dry I don't care, it's the in between shit thats gets to me, Prolly cause I don't have intermmediate tyres.

Got 4 laps in, couldn't see much due to my visor fogging up, but had a blast, managed to qualify 7th!

After 2 races the meet was called off due to the track being flooded. I was gutted, there was a good chance of getting some decent points but that's racing i guess.

Big up's to Jamie R for his second place in Supersport, shame you don't get points from it dude.

Thanks to Steve from Concerto Networks, MotoTT, Expand a Sign and Chris Mitchell Motorcycles for all there help and support. :first:

Attachments

#26 ·
I haven't raced since the post above due to being broke.

But a few months ago I was asked to ride a SV650 in a 3 hour Endurance race at Taupo Race Track. I had riden this bike a couple of times at trackdays and really enjoyed it so I was more than happy to do so.

A pat on the back must go to those of you who made the day happen, thanks guy's n gal's it was a great idea and I look forward to next year.

A huge thanks also to Peter Harkess for offering me the ride on the SV, to Mike (who's surname eludes me at the moment) and MotoTT trackdays for their support and pitting/refuelling skills, thanks guys I really appreciate it!!

Got to the track, signed in and did my rounds winding whom ever I could up, got kitted up and get out for first qualifying session, I wasn't really to worried about my starting position, but was pretty stoked to have ended up 3rd with a 1.44.! I knew it was only cause most of the fast guy's hadn't gone out.

The rain began not long after.

Second practise came around and we thought it a good idea to see just how slow I was in the wet. managed to pass the fruit, so I was happy that at least i wasn't going to be the slowest. Went in to find i was 8th in that session but my time from the first session was still 3rd fastest, mint!

What was even minter, was getting our picture taken for one of the Mag's for qualifying in the top 5, choice!!

I grumbled in my helmet as we had or picture taken on the starting line in the rain (which was a awesome idea I must say
).

The flag dropped and I ran to the bike (le mans start), jumped on, hit the starter and I was away. Got around the first corner ok and started going wide to take turn 2 to find someone else had got there first, we leaned on each other for a metre or two and some how we managed to separte and get around with out binning.

The bike was drifting every corner, all I had to do was tip in and it would let go! Biggles and Fish got past down the back straight, so i did my best to hang on to them for about 4 laps or so.

Until I had a big moment in front of the old pits, the front aqua planned and full locked due to counter steer and me having the picks on, it eventualy gripped but I had need to slow down a few meter's back.

I nearly pulled it up, but as soon as the front hit the grass down I went.
Gutted! I picked up the bike checked it to find the gear lever bent all the way back. I kicked it a few times jumped on and started her up. I felt like a real dick, not even a hour in and I'd binned it. I wasn't going in, i rode around just managing to change gear. I went off track one more time at turn 7 when the rear stepped way, way out causing me to go on to the grass again. I kept it up right and decided to slow down abit.

When Mark Bloor passed me I thought my chances of being first solo rider had gone. The track started to dry out and i was able to get a few good laps in.

Pulling into pit lane at the end and having everyone clapping was a very cool feeling indeed.

I was stoked to get 1st Superman (solo rider), and 8th overall, the trophy is massive!

Thanks again, look forward to next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.