Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if i could fit the 03 1000 forks onto an 03 750 without any issues. Mainly want to get the gold tubes, without paying an arm and a leg for the ohlins conversion.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
rican1884 said:
Just curious if i could fit the 03 1000 forks onto an 03 750 without any issues. Mainly want to get the gold tubes, without paying an arm and a leg for the ohlins conversion.
If you end up going this way you will need to switch out your front calipers and add spacers between the calipers and the caliper mounts on the forks.

The 03 1000 went to radial mount front brakes and yours are the conventinal style.

You might need to get the upper and lower triples as well. I am thinking that the 03 1000 forks taper at the top and wont work with your triples.

Also why do you want those forks other than the gold fork tubes?

·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just figured the 1000's were the only one's that would swap easily and were gold.

But if it requires a lot of retrofitting i'll just avoid it. It's purely for the looks really.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
rican1884 said:
i just figured the 1000's were the only one's that would swap easily and were gold.

But if it requires a lot of retrofitting i'll just avoid it. It's purely for the looks really.
If you are just wanting the look then go with the 01-02 1000 forks as they will be a direct swap

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
R4Ltony said:
Those will swap, but they don't have the same adjust ability.
Please explain.

I know that the KYB's that are on the 01-02 1000 dont work as well as the Showa's that are on the 00-03 750. I have never heard or seen an adjustability problem out of them though.

·
Level 7 awesome
34,135 Posts
slidewayz said:
Please explain.

I know that the KYB's that are on the 01-02 1000 dont work as well as the Showa's that are on the 00-03 750. I have never heard or seen an adjustability problem out of them though.
Easy killer.........he IS a mechanic from what I hear

·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the difference in adjustability then with the 01-02 1000, or would i be better off just sticking with my stockers. I'd like to have the gold tubes but if it's going to hinder my performance or ridability in any way i rather just stay stock. I'm mostly a street rider, and haven't done a trackday YET.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Captain Squid said:
Easy killer.........he IS a mechanic from what I hear
I am being easy :biggrin

I have done work on both models and have never seen or heard of any adjustability problems, unless he is talking ride height, which in this case wont be any issue. That is why I asked him to please explain :biggrin

rican1884 said:
What's the difference in adjustability then with the 01-02 1000, or would i be better off just sticking with my stockers. I'd like to have the gold tubes but if it's going to hinder my performance or ridability in any way i rather just stay stock. I'm mostly a street rider, and haven't done a trackday YET.
R4L will have to explain that part as I dont know what he is talking about. (i am in no way trying to stir something up)

from what I have gathered through my experience with both.. the stock 750 forks(showa) are better for performance if you are compairing stock 750 forks to stock 1000 forks of the specified years.

·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
K well i might just stay with my stockers and save up for the golden goodness of ohlins later on. Thanks for the help fellas.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
rican1884 said:
K well i might just stay with my stockers and save up for the golden goodness of ohlins later on. Thanks for the help fellas.
that is going to be some expensive eye candy! If you are going for purely looks then ohlins isn't the way to go. Only invest in high dollar supsension if you are really going to put it to use. Unless you just have that kind of money to blow

·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i do plan on using them cuz eventually it'll become purely a track bike. and hopefully with where i'm going i'll be able to pay for them without issues. But i'd like to have a nice set of forks that don't kill me on price, since trackdays will be limited.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
rican1884 said:
well i do plan on using them cuz eventually it'll become purely a track bike. and hopefully with where i'm going i'll be able to pay for them without issues. But i'd like to have a nice set of forks that don't kill me on price, since trackdays will be limited.
Since you are wanting to convert this bike into strickly track, why dont you just upgrade the internals of your stock forks to say Ohlins, Penske or Gp suspension? I know that changing the internals wont give you the bling factor but you will notice a big change in how the bike handles after you do it. If you wanted to go with a partial bling factor you could go with the Ohlins 25mil kit and a rear shock for around the same price as the road and track forks!

·
993 Posts
slidewayz said:
from what I have gathered through my experience with both.. the stock 750 forks(showa) are better for performance if you are compairing stock 750 forks to stock 1000 forks of the specified years.
That's exactly what I meant.

Remember before '03 the 750 was used as a superbike platform. The 1K had a nice coating but until 03 when Suzuki started using the 1k for superbike the 750 had the better suspension. Component construction was better in the 02 750 that than even the 03 1k. Externally they are very similar, but internally is a different story.

6-17 is the 00-02 750, and 8-13 is the 03-04 1K. And don't buy into the hype of radial mounted calipers being stronger. Maybe slightly stronger, just not enough that the non professional would notice. The real benefit of radial mount calipers is they are adjustable. Bigger rotors can be added with just a set of shims to space out the calipers.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts