Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. New to the forum and would like to ask for some direction. I picked up my Uncles 1980 GS850. while the bike is cosmetically perfect (always garaged) it has some issues running. he had the carbs rebuilt but you need to keep the choke on at low rpm's once you get going at highway speeds it runs fine.
I believe he was running regular gas not high test. My plan is to get some non-ethanol gas and see if this would help clear it up. I know all the jets were replaced. the bike has 22k miles on it.
Any advice would be appreciated
MRT.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i have a lot of questions because this is my not 1st bike but 1st with issues. 1980 GS850 what is the diaphram item on the inside of my tank ? i have to keep the choke out to keep her running but i notice that it has a port with no hose from the tank. I cant seam to figure out what this is or where the hose goes any help would be great!

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way i just got it home . so now i can really go thru it and will have a ton of questions. looks good, runs not so good. so here we go.
1st thing i did was take the wheels and rotten tires to shop to be replaced so im waiting on that before i can do anything else. Brakes are new and all frame parts have been cleaned and look good.

· Super Moderator
200 Posts
Get a PDF ssevice manual @ Manualslib.con . That will help lots ..., Are you talking diaphram inside petcock ? Hose with vacumn to open petcock . So when bike starts , fuel flows , and when engine quits , fuel stops ..., Help is here , but might take a bit to get a response ..., Check for loose hoses around tank ,

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I found a guy that has a 2 carb system that he builds to put on my bike( Murrays Carbs )I'm thinking of going that rout as my carbs are in pretty bad shape.
He recommended changing the clutch springs as i will have more power seams reasonable for a 42 year old bike and the carb system about the same $$ as a rebuild by my local shop. I talked to him in length today and he's only a couple hours away and guaranties they will work for as long as i own the bike. What are your thoughts on this option? I really don't have much confidence in 43 year old carbs.
Other than this the bike is coming along nicely wheels are at the shop having new tires installed. I've just about have everything cleaned and polished.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looks like the coils packs are all original. My uncle said it started missing when he got stuck in a rain storm years back. Since I have the tank off whats your thoughts on just changing the coil packs out?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I've installed the new 2 carb system and replaced the clutch springs they said 10% stronger, Bike runs great but i cant seem to get my clutch to work. I've adjusted all the play out and the lever seems to move full travel but it will not disengage. Any idea's

· Super Moderator
200 Posts
Dis engage ? Slipping ,? , or not fully releasing ....hard to shift ...
There should be about 1/8 " slack in cable ... full lever pull should fully disengage clutch plates and be easy to roll in gear ... Engine not running ....

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I finally had a chance to put some miles on the old 1980 GS with the new 2 carb system instead of the old 4 carbs and I am pleasantly surprised. Runs fantastic and has more power (Not that it needed more)Turn signals quit working and found a broken wire so all is good. just waiting on some warmer weather now.
Oils changed and new breaks and tires so its about all I wanted to do to it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts