Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Level 7 awesome
34,135 Posts
Depends on the condition. Does it need things? Fork selas, clutch plates, new levers, bolts/nuts, chain/sprockets???? There's lots of "little" things that can add up.

Do you have a freind that could go look at the bike with you that already rides/knows what to look for?

·
3,306 Posts
I have the '08 ninja 250, had an '07, and IMO they are good starter bikes... that bike sounds like a good starter bike since it's older and it may not be so expensive to fix its dropped

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
SarahJ said:
I have the '08 ninja 250, had an '07, and IMO they are good starter bikes... that bike sounds like a good starter bike since it's older and it may not be so expensive to fix its dropped
I'm going to go ahead and guess since it's a 95, it's hit the deck a few times...

·
350 Posts
SarahJ said:
Hey sarah, I see you have the new 08 ninja 250. How do you like it. My g/f wants to get a bike and she wants the k8 600, She's never rode before, im trying to teach her on an 85 honda nighthawk 450 that i have. I think the 600 is going to be to big, plus it will probably have to be lowered so she can fit on it better since she is only 5'5, When she sits on mine she's barely on her tippy toes. How do you like the ninja cause im looking to get her that for her first bike, especially since its a lot cheaper?

·
3,306 Posts
Ssmack5 said:
Hey sarah, I see you have the new 08 ninja 250. How do you like it. My g/f wants to get a bike and she wants the k8 600, She's never rode before, im trying to teach her on an 85 honda nighthawk 450 that i have. I think the 600 is going to be to big, plus it will probably have to be lowered so she can fit on it better since she is only 5'5, When she sits on mine she's barely on her tippy toes. How do you like the ninja cause im looking to get her that for her first bike, especially since its a lot cheaper?
well i'm 5'5" myself, and i'm practically flat footed on the ground! The bike just came out with a recall though, possible brake failure and the cylinders building up air pressure and popping out, so if you guys do decide to get it, make sure they have fixed these things first! First gear is a bit tricky... when you are starting out in first it feels like it wants to die, almost EVERY time... and then you make up for it by giving it more gas but then when it catches up, you jolt forward. I have been told by someone else who has the bike that they got the oil changed and it solved that problem and runs like a champ. this thing doesn't have a temp guage so you just have to hope for the best
it also feels like it gets VERY hot, and without a temp guage its a bit scary. but other than that stuff its a great bike!!

·
350 Posts
SarahJ said:
well i'm 5'5" myself, and i'm practically flat footed on the ground! The bike just came out with a recall though, possible brake failure and the cylinders building up air pressure and popping out, so if you guys do decide to get it, make sure they have fixed these things first! First gear is a bit tricky... when you are starting out in first it feels like it wants to die, almost EVERY time... and then you make up for it by giving it more gas but then when it catches up, you jolt forward. I have been told by someone else who has the bike that they got the oil changed and it solved that problem and runs like a champ. this thing doesn't have a temp guage so you just have to hope for the best
it also feels like it gets VERY hot, and without a temp guage its a bit scary. but other than that stuff its a great bike!!
Ill just have to make sure to take care of that b4 hand. She won't think anything about the bike getting hot. She knows nothing about them other than they have 2 wheels. Granted im not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to bikes either
, but thats why I have everyone here to give me a hand if needed

·
3,306 Posts
Yeah I don't know much about them either... i'm just kinda learning as I go along... i'm gonna try to put my slip on by myself... best way to learn is to do it yourself! And if i screw it up james will fix it for me

the heating up part does worry me a bit just because i dont have a temp gauge and knowing my luck it will get way too hot and i won't even know

·
350 Posts
SarahJ said:
Yeah I don't know much about them either... i'm just kinda learning as I go along... i'm gonna try to put my slip on by myself... best way to learn is to do it yourself! And if i screw it up james will fix it for me

the heating up part does worry me a bit just because i dont have a temp gauge and knowing my luck it will get way too hot and i won't even know
Thanks for the tips
Let me know if you hear anthing else about them.

·
350 Posts
SarahJ said:
Hey 1 more question, Some people i know, went and saw the bike at the show in NYC and when they sat on it they said the rear sets were in the way when they were standing. They were hitting them in their leg. Are they in an awkward postion?

·
3,306 Posts
Ssmack5 said:
Hey 1 more question, Some people i know, went and saw the bike at the show in NYC and when they sat on it they said the rear sets were in the way when they were standing. They were hitting them in their leg. Are they in an awkward postion?
i personally don't have a problem with them... i know of a few people who have gotten gilles footpegs for an '03 636 and put them on there so that's always an option!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya, well the bike has not ever been downed, has 12k miles, and doesn't neccessarily need anything, but i could put a few aftermarket parts on it if i wanted to... exhaust doesn't sound too impressive.

·
7,611 Posts
TJ Johnston said:
ya, well the bike has not ever been downed, has 12k miles, and doesn't neccessarily need anything, but i could put a few aftermarket parts on it if i wanted to... exhaust doesn't sound too impressive.
:bsa bike that old with out a doubt in my mind has been at least dropped one time.
any one else agree here.
just becareful dude thats all

·
350 Posts
TJ Johnston said:
If your just using that bike as a starter dont waste your money and start putting mods on it. Learn how to ride confidently, cause if you drop the bike your gonna be pissed if these mods you put on get damaged. If you plan on getting a gsxr 600/750 save your money and put it towards mods for the new gixxer:idea

Fukucacheme said:
:bsa bike that old with out a doubt in my mind has been at least dropped one time.
any one else agree here.
just becareful dude thats all

·
7,611 Posts
Ssmack5 said:
If your just using that bike as a starter dont waste your money and start putting mods on it. Learn how to ride confidently, cause if you drop the bike your gonna be pissed if these mods you put on get damaged. If you plan on getting a gsxr 600/750 save your money and put it towards mods for the new gixxer:idea

i agree. there aint much you can do to a 250 anyways, nor do i know why you would want to. Good choice with using it as a starter, but by the end of the season, i can almost garuntee you, that you will want something with a lil more power, and will end up getting rid of the 250 anyways. Why suup up a toy your just gonna get rid of in the long run anyways. what you need right now isnt power, its the ability and knowledge to ride. Dont expect to go buy a bike then be the next Mladin on the streets. it takes confidence and confidence takes time. Just go easy at first, and dont try to impress anyone. its your life you hold in your hands. I would hate to hear bout you getting hurt cause you tried to show off to some cum dumpster or one of your boys when seriously whats it gonna gain you in the long run.

·
350 Posts
Fukucacheme said:
i agree. there aint much you can do to a 250 anyways, nor do i know why you would want to. Good choice with using it as a starter, but by the end of the season, i can almost garuntee you, that you will want something with a lil more power, and will end up getting rid of the 250 anyways. Why suup up a toy your just gonna get rid of in the long run anyways. what you need right now isnt power, its the ability and knowledge to ride. Dont expect to go buy a bike then be the next Mladin on the streets. it takes confidence and confidence takes time. Just go easy at first, and dont try to impress anyone. its your life you hold in your hands. I would hate to hear bout you getting hurt cause you tried to show off to some cum dumpster or one of your boys when seriously whats it gonna gain you in the long run.
well said

1 - 20 of 21 Posts