Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question about buying a LTZ-400...

Its a 2003 and it comes with extras

Im looking to you all to help me with what i need to check for when i go look at it...

Please give me some info.

·
Super Moderator
763 Posts
Dont know much about that particular model quad, but with any quad there are a few things to look for.

Check for play in the rear axle carrier, could indicate shot bearings.
Check for play in the front suspension pivot points
Check and see if the shocks are in decent working shape by pushing down on the front and then the back of the machine, it should rise back up quickly but controlled. Same when pushing it down, You should feel resistance build the faster you try to push it down
Look at the machine from the back and see if the subframe looks straight. A lot of machines get all tweaked out of shape from people doing wheelies and slamming the grab bar into the dirt.

Engine - check the oil, listen for odd sounds, check the clutch engagement, etc..........

·
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...

I know what to look for in bikes but i knew it would be a little different with quads

·
Registered
324 Posts
check the front wheel bearing too those take a lot of abuse. Just grab the top of the front tire with both hands and rock it back n forth. A little play is probably alright, but if it goes CLUNK CLUNK = bad.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey man I had an 04 LTZ400 so here's what to look for:

Front Suspension travel, usually the first thing to take a dump on those.

Chain/Sprocket, cause everyone neglects those.

Rear Axle/bash guard, check for play in the axle and take a good look at the skid plate/bash guard for excessive signs of abuse.

Wheels, make sure they're still true.

Reverse, make sure it still works cause if it doesn't then the rest of the tranny is soon to follow.

Frame, the soft spot of those frames is right up front behind where the A-arms mount to the frame, check for cracked welds and bent frame around the weld. That's a sure sign that the bike was thrashed.

Other than that, just check the airbox/filter, electrics, seat and all the other normal things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts