Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
March 1, 2008

Team Suzuki Press Office - March 1, 2008.

View attachment 3425

Both Fonsi Nieto and Max Neukirchner will start tomorrow's pair of 22-lap World Superbike races at Phillip Island in Australia from the second row of the grid after slightly problematic Superpole laps.

Both had high hopes of front row grid positions before the 16-rider shoot-out and will now have to get good starts if they don't want to lose touch with the leaders at the beginning of the two races.

Aussie Troy Bayliss (Ducati) broke the lap record to take Superpole beating fellow countryman Troy Corser (Yamaha) in the process. Third was Michel Fabrizio (Ducati) with Carlos Checa (Honda) completing the front row of the grid.

Fonsi Nieto - 5th, 1:32.711:

"As you know Superpole is not really my strong point and I know I lost time in one of the sectors for sure. But fifth is not so bad and if I can get good starts, I'm sure I am going to be in with a chance. Tomorrow is going to be very, very hard and tyre choice and tyre performance is going to be critical. At the moment, we are not sure which tyres to use, so we'll try some adjustments in the morning warm-up and see if that will help our decision."

Max Neukirchner - 8th, 1:32.767:

"I am disappointed with my Superpole lap because I made a couple of mistakes at the start of it and that was that. Although I was good in the final two sectors, my mistakes in sector one was enough to lose quite a bit of time. Tyre choice is very important here and the problem is finding a rear tyre that has good grip and will last as well! So, we'll make a few adjustments in the morning warm-up before deciding what to do."

Superpole: 1 Bayliss (Aus-Ducati) 1:31.493, 2 Corser (Aus-Yamaha) 1:32.011, 3 Fabrizio (I-Ducati) 1:32.164, 4 C.Checa (E-Honda) 1:32.373, 5 Fonsi Nieto (E-Suzuki Alstare) 1:32.711, 6 Smrz (CZ-Ducati) 1:32.714. 8 Max Neukirchner (D-Alstare Suzuki) 1: 32.767.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts