Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I win or you want more?
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I tried to get the old ignition off so I could get the new one that came today on. Thanks Brad, you're the coolest gay guy I've done business with since the bathhouse in '89.

But I digress. So I went to get it off and it's got two of these fuggers holding it on
. I ordered a Security Torx bit set and it came with all sizes up to the one right below this which spins like a top when I try to make it work. Should I

A) Drill out the security point in the middle so I can use a regular torx bit.

Wait and get the right tool < Pro Tip: This option is ghey!

C) Naw both those are dumb, here's what ya do... [insert your amazing solution here]

·
I win or you want more?
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm at work til 9 tonight and they'll be closed when I get off. Wanted to ride in tomorrow.

That was the ghey option BTW lol. You wanna tell us something?

·
db&#39;s Idol
6,925 Posts
Here's what you do:

Pee on it. The acids in your urine will break down any resistance coming from the threads.

Then, take a power cord from an old lamp or something, and sheer-off the lamp and expose the wires in the cord.

With the cord plugged into an outlet, press the bare wires on the top of the urine-soaked torx bolt with your bare thumb.

The results will amaze you.

This proven method will solve this and all of your other problems in life. Permanently. Guaranteed.

No need to thank me. But you're welcome anyway.

·
I win or you want more?
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you're telling me to blast it with piss and then give it the shocker??? Sounds like an R.Kelly video.

·
db&#39;s Idol
6,925 Posts
burnoutboy said:
So you're telling me to blast it with piss and then give it the shocker??? Sounds like an R.Kelly video.

·
315 Posts

uh yeah just buy the right size and ride it another day. any attempt you make at forcing a different tool or trying to force it out will only make it harder to remove in the long run.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Adam West said:
any attempt you make at forcing a different tool or trying to force it out will only make it harder to remove in the long run.
bet you say that to all your cell mates

·
I win or you want more?
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Adam West said:
any attempt you make at forcing a different tool or trying to force it out will only make it harder to remove in the long run.
You're seriously underestimating my machining skills. I may have to put the whole upper in the drill press tonight and drill the security tab out just to prove you wrong LOL. The ONLY reason I havent already done this is I probably want to reuse them WITH the security tabs for peace of mind. Hey brad can I order JUST the two screws that hold in it?

·
315 Posts
j_paul said:
bet you say that to all your cell mates
:whiteflagyes, yes i do.

burnoutboy said:
You're seriously underestimating my machining skills. I may have to put the whole upper in the drill press tonight and drill the security tab out just to prove you wrong LOL. The ONLY reason I havent already done this is I probably want to reuse them WITH the security tabs for peace of mind. Hey brad can I order JUST the two screws that hold in it?
by all means, go for it. take pictures, and make sure you post tomorrow. I need something to enjoy while I have my coffee in the morning.

·
I win or you want more?
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Adam West said:
:whiteflagyes, yes i do.

by all means, go for it. take pictures, and make sure you post tomorrow. I need something to enjoy while I have my coffee in the morning.
I'll make you a deal. I will absolutely do it. If I do it 100% successfully and dont fuck up the bolt at all you gotta buy me two new ones or swap me for yours LOL. I'll probably do it anyway but you might as well make it interesting since you dont seem to think I can do it LOL.

·
315 Posts
the deal is contingent on you riding in to work tomorrow morning. you have to have it all done and be able to ride tomorrow, which is the whole reason you arent going to be patient and buy the right size bit...

so there wont be much of a bet if you have to wait for replacement parts.

·
I win or you want more?
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Adam West said:
the deal is contingent on you riding in to work tomorrow morning. you have to have it all done and be able to ride tomorrow, which is the whole reason you arent going to be patient and buy the right size bit...

so there wont be much of a bet if you have to wait for replacement parts.
Agreed.

·
db&#39;s Idol
6,925 Posts
This thread has tons of potential for major failage. I mean MAJOR!!!

·
I win or you want more?
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zippy said:
This thread has tons of potential for major failage. I mean MAJOR!!!
Another doubter?? I'll have you kids sending all your machine work to me when I'm done. Labor aint cheap but I gets it done.

·
I win or you want more?
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well... 1:45 AM good news bad news time.

Good news - Ignition is DONE. Drilled out the security tab and still didnt have a torx head big enough (it's like a T45 and the biggest I have is a T40) So I used a 6mm allen key and it worked perfect. Key works and bike fired up second try (at 1:00AM mind you LOL).

Bad news - When I was removing the front master cylinder resevoir I apparently tore the hose a bit. (I think part of it may be because it was 13 years old LOL.) So you win I cannot ride to work tomorrow as I dont have any front brakes. I hope you're pleased with yourself.

The only two pics I remembered to take are the security bit drilled out and I took one of the old cylinder just now so you'd know I really got it off.

Attachments

·
315 Posts

sorry about the brake line... i like winning but not on a technicality. look at it this way, gives you a good reason to add new fluid and bleed the brakes. i love the feeling of a fresh brake system.

·
I win or you want more?
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Adam West said:

sorry about the brake line... i like winning but not on a technicality. look at it this way, gives you a good reason to add new fluid and bleed the brakes. i love the feeling of a fresh brake system.
LOL I was doing that anyway along with the new EBC HH sintered pads. I went to sqeeze the lever after it was bled and a little trickle came out of the first bend in the hose.

I felt like a hooligan firing her up at 1
, and I honestly had fun racing the clock to get her done in time. I was so pumped about posting pics of me at work with her and then I was sooooo much more bummed when the brake hose leaked LOL.

I'm over it now, I'm gonna slap a length of generic fuel hose on there and go riding this afternoon and order the right hose from Brad later today to fix it permanently with that.

In the long run I'm still gonna get to go riding today so it's all good.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
good job man
...was thinking you could use a dremel tool to cut a notch in it and use a big screw driver or something, but probably not enough space to do it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts