Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the Forum and I was wondering what you would say is the best upgrade for the cost. I've already done some small mods but was just wondering what you all would suggest. Thanks for the input in advance.

Also, anyone know a track near Columbus MS? Or from around here and would want to go for a ride some weekend? I really wanna get rid of these chicken strips...

·
Site Sponsor
1,445 Posts
Kinda depends on what your after really.

Performance?
Looks?
Straight line speed?
Canyon riding?

Personally I think spending money on an advanced riding school or track school will make you a faster/better rider before any upgrades.

Myself...suspension is where I spend my money.

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I couldn't find that "best upgrade" thread, But I'm just looking for anything really.

Performance would be my first priority I guess... Thanks and I'd LOVE to go to a track school but I don't know of any around Columbus MS, I'm in the Air Force and I just got stationed here for Pilot training... So what kind of suspension?

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Well there are 2 brands that come to mind when I think suspension. Ohlins or Penske, just depends on what you want to spend on it.

Have you upgraded your brakes or brake lines at all? Tires?

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Brakes or lines yet, I got battle axes and I'm thinking of the corsa 3's or pilot powers, not too worried about those yet.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Tires play a huge role in your bikes performance, as well as brakes.

I would personally say anything you can do to enhance to handling of the bike, will be a way better upgrade than anything that adds to the bike's power. Unless you are already riding the bike to it's full limit which is very hard for us non-pros to do.

So my next upgrades will be suspension, brakes, wheels and some stickier tires. No particular order.

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I hardly ever get too high in the rpms... and why the brake lines? as opposed to the rotors or calipers? I understand where you're comin from with the suspension and I'm going to look into that, I've heard about the Ohlins ones and their sig gold color a lot on forums so that might be my next project... I love taking parts of my bike off and freaking out thinking it'll never work again and then putting it back together and feeling great about it.

TwoTyres said:
decent riding gear, set up stock suspension, brake lines, -1+2 sprockets, Stomp grips, seat time.
I got an icon persuit jacket and I'm lookin for some pants at the moment... it's kinda hard with no bike shops within 2 hours of here. I have a shoei Rf-1000 lid, icon gloves, and I wear my work boots when I ride... hard to shop for boots out here too...

I'm basically just addicted to this bike... we have a few on off ramps around here and that's about all there is out here to rub off my strips but they're not very safe... the drivers out here are bad as it is.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
I actually wouldn't worry too much about rotors or calipers, I was thinking more of lines and a good set of pads. That combo will just give you alot more solid braking as compared to stock setup. Which stopping is just as important as going in the motorized world.

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh and I've already taken the MSF rider course... requirement for the military. Great idea I think, but the class was more of a refresher than anything. But it was fun messin around on those bikes they had...

Very true...

what kind of pads would you suggest and how hard is it to change out the brake lines? Is it dangerous if I did it myself? I've done other things like my levers, exhaust, oil change, but I haven't messed with the brakes at all and the manual doesn't show or tell how to mess with that at all... I'll look for a diy thread on here.

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
Welcome!
Sounds like you got all the good advice already.
Gearing looks like the one mod that you don't have that'll really give you a boost!

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kelevra said:
Welcome!
Sounds like you got all the good advice already.
Gearing looks like the one mod that you don't have that'll really give you a boost!
Wouldn't the gearing screw me for top end speed? Not that I'll probably need that... but it messes up the speedo and I'd need a speedo after too right? Hmm that doesn't seem like too bad of an idea but I like the idea of going WOT in 1st and not poppin up so much...

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
I would probably go with the EBC pads myself, there is also Galfer and some other options out there.

The brake lines are something you want to be VERY careful with, they can be very easy... but you can also mess things up pretty quick if you aren't careful. I would say the hardest part of the job would be bleeding the system after you are done.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Li0nel1234 said:
Wouldn't the gearing screw me for top end speed? Not that I'll probably need that... but it messes up the speedo and I'd need a speedo after too right? Hmm that doesn't seem like too bad of an idea but I like the idea of going WOT in 1st and not poppin up so much...
Yes, gearing the bike the way most people do allows for more acceleration and less top end. It will make you feel like you gained alot of power because of the different gearing, although it doesn't really affect horsepower/torque.

You would need to re correct the speedo after re gearing, and they sell a product called "speedohealer" that easily is configured to do so.

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm how long of a project would that be for a guy who's never changed the lines b4? I'm not new to working on the bike just never that sort of thing.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Li0nel1234 said:
Hmm how long of a project would that be for a guy who's never changed the lines b4? I'm not new to working on the bike just never that sort of thing.
I would say a couple hours for an inexperienced person most likely. I've never done it at home because I always used an air compressor and some other tools at work to bleed the air out of the system. But I'm sure there's a way to manually do it as well. I'm just not oldschool like that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts