Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
meh..buh
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some vortex frame sliders for the K8. I was about to take the motor mount bolt out but found it was in there good and tight. I didn't wan to break anything so I left well enough alone for the time being.

What are things I need to be careful of before I start. I'm thinking I should remove the fairing just in case. What else?

·
584 Posts
You need to support the engine. You can use a floor jack with a piece of wood on top of it, or a towel, (to avoid metal to metal / denting) and lift the jack up to the point where it is just putting pressure on the bottom of the oil pan. That should hold or support the engine and relieve any pressure on the bolts. Usually they come out with no problem and people strip or cross thread going in because the engine shifts. The other thing to look for is pinch bolts on the right side. I know the 600/750's have these, but I am away from my bike right now and can't remember.

Also I thought this section was a "This Is How To" and not a "How Do I". You might get more answers quicker by posting in the general section or the 1000 main forum. Cheers.

·
meh..buh
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks foer the tips.

You know the general section gets. for every one useful post, there will be five fillers. I find that mechanical sections in almost all forums are very serious and helpful.

·
1,560 Posts
i didn't have any issues doin it on my k5 750....i jsut took em out 1 at a time....but u can't go wrong doin it as posted above....

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
you do not need to support the motor. just do one side at a time, and make sure you loosen the pinch bolt before attempting to remove the motor mount bolt.

·
490 Posts
anthony said:
you do not need to support the motor. just do one side at a time, and make sure you loosen the pinch bolt before attempting to remove the motor mount bolt.
ding ding ding, that's right there is no need to support the engine for a single engine mount bolt for a frame slider

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I've got into install my Vortex Sliders on my K7 this weekend. I haven't looked at the base plate package, but is there sufficient instructions there for an idiot or do I need to ask for a dummy's run down here?

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Blind Tree Frog said:
So I've got into install my Vortex Sliders on my K7 this weekend. I haven't looked at the base plate package, but is there sufficient instructions there for an idiot or do I need to ask for a dummy's run down here?
I don't know how detailed there instructions are but it's pretty straight forward either way.

Remove one side's engine bolt, they should provide you with new, longer bolts. Put the slider into position, (washer if provided) and thread the bolt in carefully by hand. I would also loctite the bolt if I were you with the red high temp loctite. Torque back to factory specs, or just give it a good snug, whatever you feel comfortable with.

Repeat for the other side.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
torque specs are very important! make sure you have a good torque wrench and the factory service manual, that way you know what bolts get torqued to what specs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts