Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(if you have a slip on and are getting allot of backfires) I have suffered from some pretty bad backfires/pops since I put on my Mega last May. I believe that is the cause of some loose rivets where the cone mates to the can itself. I ordered the Graves block off plates and a resistor to remove the pump. In the meantime I just installed a BMC Race air filter and did the little marble trick. Went for a spin and ZERO pops. I did all the little things with the throttle and deceleration that in the past caused backfires and got none. I ran through the first four gears hard and damned if the front was contacting at all! Just barely skimming. It at least feels like the filter made a diff. Just glad my bike isn't popping anymore trying to blow the end cone off. I am planning Velocity Stacks, a PCIII, and a custom tune when the taxes return. I might need to add a new pair or two of underwear as well. Gosh dang I love this 1000!!!!!!!!!!
:sex

Attachments

·
1,150 Posts
I also did a BMC race filter & did my own block off fix & noticed a big difference as well. Have you done the S.E.T. Valve fix? You cut one of the wires on the cpu. I did mine & it eliminated all poping & b-firing. LMK & I can post a pic of the wire to cut. I put connectors on the each wire after I cut it JIK I need to return it to stock in the future.

Josh

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
Jixxer Josh said:
I also did a BMC race filter & did my own block off fix & noticed a big difference as well. Have you done the S.E.T. Valve fix? You cut one of the wires on the cpu. I did mine & it eliminated all poping & b-firing. LMK & I can post a pic of the wire to cut. I put connectors on the each wire after I cut it JIK I need to return it to stock in the future.

Josh
By all means, post it up in the Mechanical/How To/DIY Section. I'm guessing the wire to cut is different from you 1K to my 750?
I'm interested in doing the Pair block too..

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
If I can't someone sure can...

Yeah, I'm sure we'd all really like to see a vid for the Pair Mod, as well as the Set Valve Mod.. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,935 Posts
speedwasinvolved said:
(if you have a slip on and are getting allot of backfires) I have suffered from some pretty bad backfires/pops since I put on my Mega last May. I believe that is the cause of some loose rivets where the cone mates to the can itself. I ordered the Graves block off plates and a resistor to remove the pump. In the meantime I just installed a BMC Race air filter and did the little marble trick. Went for a spin and ZERO pops. I did all the little things with the throttle and deceleration that in the past caused backfires and got none. I ran through the first four gears hard and damned if the front was contacting at all! Just barely skimming. It at least feels like the filter made a diff. Just glad my bike isn't popping anymore trying to blow the end cone off. I am planning Velocity Stacks, a PCIII, and a custom tune when the taxes return. I might need to add a new pair or two of underwear as well. Gosh dang I love this 1000!!!!!!!!!!
:sex
Damn that's a SWEET pic!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Kelevra said:
If I can't someone sure can...

Yeah, I'm sure we'd all really like to see a vid for the Pair Mod, as well as the Set Valve Mod.. Thanks!
hey..... does anyone got a link to a "how to" thread or insructions for the pair or tre mod for a K6??

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put a marble down in the hose labeled here as 1 to block the pair valve. This pic is taken from the ride side of the bike. Lift the tank and you may be able to get to it as is. If not just loosen the clamps on the air intakes(?) and lift the whole air box up slightly until the pair hose is exposed. Slip it off, push a marble down in there far enough so the hose can go back on the nipple on the airbox and you're done.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
speedwasinvolved said:
Put a marble down in the hose labeled here as 1 to block the pair valve. This pic is taken from the ride side of the bike. Lift the tank and you may be able to get to it as is. If not just loosen the clamps on the air intakes(?) and lift the whole air box up slightly until the pair hose is exposed. Slip it off, push a marble down in there far enough so the hose can go back on the nipple on the airbox and you're done.
I thought u were talking about the set valve in the exhaust, i didnt do this above. Whats it supposed to do?

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back to the first post. If you have an aftermarket exhaust and are getting a backfire this mod will eliminate it. Also I guess if you are getting a custom tune by blocking the pair you get a true a/f ratio for a better tune. The pair valve is basically a solenoid that allows filtered air to be drawn (Venturi effect) into the exhaust and helps to detonate any unburned fuel to make all the alphabet agencies happy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is this also to prevent oil from entering the air box if the bike is on it's side for too long, or upside down? doesn't sound like it... But around stunters, I hear people doin the "clean air mod", or the "tre mod", on their F4i's and 636's.... to prevent vapor lock I think?

I may have these two mods mixed up here. It's the "pair valve mod" then that is what we are talkin about here then. Hmmmm.

I wonder if this is why that one pro tuner guy told me that if I take off the set vavle my bike will run like crap and backfire all the time? It probably is the fix for that and he just doesn't know any better like me! hahaha

Imma go outside to the shop and try that though in about an hour and I'll post up how it did next time I ride..

Lemme ask real quick though...Is the idea just to basically block it off, cuz I'll have to make that marble stay in place at all times with it being a stuntbike it will be dropped and flipped and stoppied and 12'vd is why I ask....

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Use a standard marble and it isn't going anywhere. It can't go up, because the plastic nipple on the airbox is smaller than the hose and rigid, and at the other end is the pair valve itself, which again is way smaller than the tube you "stuffed" the marble into. It's basically trapped.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts