Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
meh..buh
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The numbers might look good, but the track record sure as heck doesn't. BMW were going on and on in every articel about how race bred the bike was, but in every event it was mid pack at best. Just watched them in the Daytona 200 and they sucked. Granted, maybe better rider could have shown better. They qualified midpack and apparently, they have a tendency to tuck the front.

I hope this new superbike they are developing is more in keeping with the real world of motorcycles and not the fantasy world where only BMW bikes exist. As it stands, that new Beemer better be spectacular to be able to compete with the bike the other guys are putting out.

Here in Canada, they're almost $30k!!! FOR WHAT?? Nice bits and pieces cost extra, sure, but if I'mpaying that much it better be a capable bike as well and definitley not slower than a 600. I mean, if I can afford to drop that kind of coin on my bike, why not go for something that really is capable like a 1098R? They get the same level of race prep and win World Superbike!!

whew...I feel better now
snow makes me angry

·
Registered
7,073 Posts
I'm with you. There certainly is a lot of technology in the bike, but I am not all that impressed. It is $25,000 here and that is way to much when you consider what else it out there in that price range. It is cool, but not $25,000, or 30,000 Canadian, cool.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/hp-2-sport/

As soon as I saw it had a boxer twin I knew it could never be a true sport bike. I mean, so much for lean angle, and power, now that I think about it.

·
1,055 Posts
overpriced ............................................. yup
overweight ............................................ yup
NO racing experience (in this series) .......... yup

STOCK MOTOR IN THE BMW AMA BIKE???? YUP

im not saying its the revolution but its like racing a ferrari with a cavalier time will tell

i want to see what is coming for the 2009 WSBK since they announced a 1000cc bike to compete in that class

·
meh..buh
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you hit the nail on the head. In stock trim, it puts down about as much horsepower as a formula extreme race bike.

But come on BMW!..If you are going to have a "factory" effort than make it a real factory effort. With all the great riders in the world, how do they go off and hire three relatively unknown guys to compete in one of the most high profile bike races in North America? Makes me think they were looking for a meager result. Having two of three crash right away didn't show well either.

If they had doubt over their competitiveness they should have hired privateers. Ducati did that, but then again, they been racing for a while. Sure you can chalk it up to lack of experience, but this showing at Daytona was more like they had no idea anyone else would bring a bike!

Up here they've been talking up their Canadian Thunder championship from last year and that they plan on winning again. I guess they didn't read the entry list because the 848 and Buel 1125 will be allowed in as well as far as I understand it. If that is the case, I'd be surprised if the Beemer's have much success at all.

If this kind of mentality keeps up, KTM will have their revenge for the whole "Long Way Round" blunder but on a World Superbike Stage:)

At the end of the day, I think this bike will be owned by diehard collectors, or diehard Beemer fans. I strongly doubt they've changed the image of BMW....at least not for the better.

·
1,055 Posts
making a competitive boxer is hard maybe impossible. The ama bike was somewhat done by bmw of santa cruz NOT a real factory bike

i think bmw is just testing ........

German magazine "PS" reports about a mysterious encounter during a racetraining in spain: a strange crew, heavy wired actual japanese superbikes, laptops everywhere and a stealth-bike which was wearing a R6-aftermarket fairing. This had to be a test-session of BMWs upcoming superbike, let's call it K1000RR!
R6 fairing? Yes - so this block has to be terriying narrow for a full liter-engine, maybe this could be a hint for a revolutionary camshaft drive (from behind the cylinder-bank?). The outer appearance of the bike was rather conventional, no Tele- or Paralevers at front- or backend, aluminium perimeter frame, chain drive.
As BMW is always keen on being different we can probably expect (next to a very small, light and strong bike) the most sophisticated electronics ever on a serial bike: what about a real electronic traction control and race ABS? The know-how is surely there. BMW is aiming for a "190/190" power-to-weight-ratio, and eyewitnesses in spain saw a fast and strong bike which seemed to be nailed to the track surface in every situation. And which was about 1.5 seconds quicker than the other bikes...

these pictures are already post r6 bodywork stage (in some spots exept for tail for example)

Attachments

·
meh..buh
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If their wsb is awesome, then they'd be justified it pricing it accordingly. I'd love to see them come up with something really good.

·
1,055 Posts
forged wheels
carbon fairings
brembo brakes (with ABS)
magura master cylinders
ohlins suspension
adjustable rearsets AND clip ons
high tech dashboard
carbon fiber cylinder heads
metzeler race tires
AND DONT forget BMW quality i owned 5 BMWs (3 cars and 2 bikes) its FAR FAR superior of ducatis and suzukis

the more i read the less exepensive (or overpriced) i think it is

1 - 7 of 7 Posts