Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are cams a good mod? For instants, If I had full exhaust, filter, PC. What kind of gains will I be looking at?

Found some at rcsperformanceonline.com.

·
Registered
490 Posts
PurEvo said:
Are cams a good mod? For instants, If I had full exhaust, filter, PC. What kind of gains will I be looking at?

Found some at rcsperformanceonline.com.
yes they are if properly set up.

what cams are you looking at?

·
1,588 Posts
Yes Cams are a good mod.. Im going to say to go with the Stage R cams as they will make a big difference..

I would call Chip at KWS if you have questions.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i did yosh drop-in cams on my 04 1K and gained 6 hp
the bike has pc3, full hindel race system, k&n air filter, air box mod..........no head work.........cams are a very good mod. just know what you want before you bye them, for instance.......do you want 200 hp or do you want 180 hp.....also how much money do you want to spend ( these are all factors to consider ) good luck with whatever you do

·
Registered
490 Posts
aaronass said:
i did yosh drop-in cams on my 04 1K and gained 6 hp
the bike has pc3, full hindel race system, k&n air filter, air box mod..........no head work.........cams are a very good mod. just know what you want before you bye them, for instance.......do you want 200 hp or do you want 180 hp.....also how much money do you want to spend ( these are all factors to consider ) good luck with whatever you do
I dont know exactly what I gained from just the Web cams I did because I did the race port and polish, and race valve job, and decked the head 20thou when I did the cams.

I do know I had 151 hp before the work and 174.9 hp after the headwork and cams were installed

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
cams will be most beneficial if you have headwork done like mpd.

full exhaust, pc3, and a race filter should be the minimum mods before thinking about doing cams.

a better question would be can you fully use all of the hp you have before throwing your money away?

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.rcsperformanceonline.com/GSXR_1000_Performance_Cams_p/gsxr 1000 performance cam 385.htm

Those are the cams i'm looking at. Are there any other brand cams I should read into before making a purchase?

My goal is 200hp. I was gonna go turbo but doing a lot of research, it woulda cost more than half the bikes worth. My list I have is full exhaust, filter, tre, PC, velocity stacks, cams. MAYBE a small shot nitrious. I dont wanna get into the motor too much. Just mainly bolt ons.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
anthony said:
a better question would be can you fully use all of the hp you have before throwing your money away?
^ very valid point, that's why my mods from here on out are only focused on handling, braking, grip, and maybe a little eye candy in the mix

But it depends on what you are using your bike for also..

·
Registered
490 Posts
PurEvo said:
http://www.rcsperformanceonline.com/GSXR_1000_Performance_Cams_p/gsxr 1000 performance cam 385.htm

Those are the cams i'm looking at. Are there any other brand cams I should read into before making a purchase?

My goal is 200hp. I was gonna go turbo but doing a lot of research, it woulda cost more than half the bikes worth. My list I have is full exhaust, filter, tre, PC, velocity stacks, cams. MAYBE a small shot nitrious. I dont wanna get into the motor too much. Just mainly bolt ons.
if you do cams you will have to change your valve springs to gsxr 750 springs since they are a heavier spring. if your gonna do NOS you will need heavy duty valve springs with a minimum of 60lbs of seat pressure

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
PurEvo said:
http://www.rcsperformanceonline.com/GSXR_1000_Performance_Cams_p/gsxr%201000%20performance%20cam%20385.htm

ok, hold on a second. i just scanned through your previous posts, and this is your first bike? i cannot even begin to tell you how bad of an idea having a 200rwhp bike for your first bike is. you need to learn how to ride it properly, and be able to use all of the power it has stock before jumping up another 30-40 horsepower. and i don't mean from a roll in a straight line either, since anyone can hold the throttle open, and eventually you will get bored of even 200rwhp in a straight line.

go to the track, and watch how fast a 14 year old on a 125 blows past you. then decide if you really need more horsepower.

you want my honest opinion? go take a road race course at your local track (and by local i mean within a 10 hour drive), becoming a better rider will make you and the bike faster than any mod you can throw at it.

oh, and read this: http://www.gixxer-forum.net/forum/showthread.php?p=28648#post28648

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What year 750? Is changing valve springs a have to? Or is it like insurance type? What if I get the heavy duty springs and end up NOT using nitrious. Would the HD springs be too much for stock cams?

After these mods, My next ones will be brakes. It's a must and yea i know, it shoulda been first.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
PurEvo said:
What year 750? Is changing valve springs a have to? Or is it like insurance type? What if I get the heavy duty springs and end up NOT using nitrious. Would the HD springs be too much for stock cams?

After these mods, My next ones will be brakes. It's a must and yea i know, it shoulda been first.
brakes have nothing to do with this, it is your lack of riding ability has everything to do with this! this is your first bike! learn to ride it properly before throwing all this money and mods into it, trust me.

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
anthony said:
ok, hold on a second. i just scanned through your previous posts, and this is your first bike? i cannot even begin to tell you how bad of an idea having a 200rwhp bike for your first bike is. you need to learn how to ride it properly, and be able to use all of the power it has stock before jumping up another 30-40 horsepower. and i don't mean from a roll in a straight line either, since anyone can hold the throttle open, and eventually you will get bored of even 200rwhp in a straight line.

go to the track, and watch how fast a 14 year old on a 125 blows past you. then decide if you really need more horsepower.

you want my honest opinion? go take a road race course at your local track (and by local i mean within a 10 hour drive), becoming a better rider will make you and the bike faster than any mod you can throw at it.

oh, and read this: http://www.gixxer-forum.net/forum/showthread.php?p=28648#post28648
You know what? I understand everything you said and I dont have anything to argue. Your right but just b/c this is my first bike doesn't mean I just started riding.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
PurEvo said:
You know what? I understand everything you said and I dont have anything to argue. Your right but just b/c this is my first bike doesn't mean I just started riding.
I don't think he is looking to argue, he is just trying to save you some money and point you in the right direction.

But what is going to be your purpose of the bike? Street riding/Cruising? Drag racing? Canyons? Track days?

People are just trying to look out for you as the stock 1000 is already a very potent bike and depending on your purpose these mods are just a waste of money until you are on the verge of outriding it in stock engine trim.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
PurEvo said:
and what does that mean? you have 100,000 street miles on someone else's bike? come on now, who are you trying to fool? let me guess, you rode dirtbikes as a kid, and you rode your friend's bikes a few times. got on the gas from a roll in a straight line, and wasn't scared shitless by the power, so you think you can handle a 200hp 1000c sportbike.

i have seen people like you come and go, and i am sorry to say, most of them have wound up pretty badly injured because they though "oh, i will be okay, i can handle it" when in actuality they were only trying to fool themselves.

good luck.

·
Registered
490 Posts
yep if this is your first bike trackdays is a better way to go you'll be amazed how much faster you and your bike will be once you start carving proper race lines.

no mods will do that for you, experience will always prevail.

before I started going crazy on my 1k with mods etc. I did trackdays, then taught Cali Superbike school, then race professionally, now im modding my 1k just to see how much better I can make every component of the bike.

only mods you should be looking at right now are stainless brake lines, a good steering damper, frame sliders, and full leathers and helmet

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Plastic Cup Politics said:
I don't think he is looking to argue, he is just trying to save you some money and point you in the right direction.

But what is going to be your purpose of the bike? Street riding/Cruising? Drag racing? Canyons? Track days?

People are just trying to look out for you as the stock 1000 is already a very potent bike and depending on your purpose these mods are just a waste of money until you are on the verge of outriding it in stock engine trim.
I'll be using the bike for street riding/cruising, some drag. Not really track. I know the bike is up there as it is. I wanna add a lil to try make it unique, like we all do.

anthony. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, but i'm taking your comment to me as a smart ass comment. Yea, i rode/race dirt bikes as a kid, Yea, I use friend's bikes to cruise for hours with a group many many times. so what? How long you been riding? When was your first mod? I didn't come on here to be cocky. Your gonna give useful advice? or still attack me? B/C that's what i'm getting from you.

I'll go ahead and look up to track the bike to get some experience in that field. It's kinda hard to find here in mississippi. But i'll have to look harder.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
PurEvo said:
I'll be using the bike for street riding/cruising, some drag. Not really track. I know the bike is up there as it is. I wanna add a lil to try make it unique, like we all do.

anthony. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, but i'm taking your comment to me as a smart ass comment. Yea, i rode/race dirt bikes as a kid, Yea, I use friend's bikes to cruise for hours with a group many many times. so what? How long you been riding? When was your first mod? I didn't come on here to be cocky. Your gonna give useful advice? or still attack me? B/C that's what i'm getting from you.
i have been riding dirt and street for 26 years, first street bike was a 1985 honda nighthawk. and my k6 has no mods except sticky tires, and ss braided brake lines. oh, and a lot of track time.

and everything i have said to you should be taken as useful advice, not as an attack. i am looking out for you because i have seen this situation plenty of times before, and most of them wound up ending very badly.

and here is a listing of all the tracks in the southeast:

Southeast

Alabama* Barber Motorsports Park* Talladega Gran Prix RacewayFlorida* Daytona International Speedway* Homestead Miami Speedway* Jennings GP* Moroso Motorsports Park* Sebring International RacewayGeorgia* Road Atlanta* Roebling Road Raceway* Atlanta Motor SpeedwayNorth Carolina* Lowe's Motor Speedway* North Carolina Speedway (Rockingham)Puerto Rico* La Ponce International Speedway ParkSouth Carolina* BMW Test Track* Carolina Motorsports ParkTennessee* Memphis Motorsport Park* Nashville SuperspeedwayVirginia* Virginia International Raceway* MartinsvilleWest Virginia* Summit Point Raceway

1 - 20 of 46 Posts