Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright.... here we go.

I purchased a set of Woodcraft Clipons after my wreck. I put them on awhile back, but I didnt' get them on perfect. After my GPR came loose the other day YET AGAIN! (but that's a different story) I decided to adjust my clipons to try to get them "perfect" while I was in the garage. The left one was touching the frame (or damn close) when the bars were all the way to lock on the left side.

My god what a headache it turned out to be...

I've got no problem taking stuff apart and putting it together, I did it as a profession for awhile, and a hobby before that.

But as far as these clip ons go, they are driving me nuts! (along with this crappy GPR issue) Even though it should be a relatively simple task (in theory)

Obviously I need to adjust them to fit me, but as far as getting the spacing/distance right on everything and making sure all the bolts I need to tighten are accessible... what do you all suggest as far as a successful process? I'm getting frustrated with it.

(but that has alot to do with a couple of these piece of crap bolts stripping out that secure the clamps to the forks and therefore make my bike unridable until I can get some replacement bolts
)

·
Members
5,173 Posts
go all the way to the left and see how far away from a point on the frame the tip of the clipon is. Then use a pencil or something to mark it. then go all the way to the right and do the same on the other side and use the mark on the pencil, etc...

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put mark what/where?

There's no tab on the clamps that go around the forks like there were on the stock bars, I'm just having trouble all together getting everything spaced out/lined up correctly.

·
Members
5,173 Posts
no...okay...how far up the fork you can tell based on how far the clipon is from the clamp at the top of the fork. ie if you want them 1mm below the clamp then use a certain allen wrench and stick it between the clamp then raise the clipon to that point and tighten it to snug. do that with both sides now they are sized up to the height you want. then to figure out how far out or in (towards the tank) i align one side where i want it. then make it so that side is as close to the bike as you can. then take say a pencil and put it at the very tip of the clipon where the eraser is and put the writing part near the bike. See where it touches. then move the front of the bike all the way to the other side (so clipon is the closes to the bike on the other side). Then put the tip of the pencil on the bike where the other side was, then move the clipon to the eraser part. now you know they are 100% the same height wise and you know they are the same so that when the wheel is 100% forward the clipons will be the same distance out on each side. hard to explain...

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm having trouble following, I am no good at instructions. It basically has to be in the most complete dumb ass terms of all time for me to get it.

I wonder what that says about me.

·
344 Posts
if you can't follow those instructions i wonder how its possible for you and sarah to...you know. It's like you need a picture book.....LOL

·
18 Posts
Adjust it comfortably on one side and tighten it down, turn it to full lock on that side and measure the distance from end of bar to the frame. Now go to the other side and turn it to full lock, then adjust so that it is the same distance on that side. Wallah, that's how I did my woodcraft bars. I always end up taking off the triple tree to make things easier.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
calreef18 said:
Adjust it comfortably on one side and tighten it down, turn it to full lock on that side and measure the distance from end of bar to the frame. Now go to the other side and turn it to full lock, then adjust so that it is the same distance on that side. Wallah, that's how I did my woodcraft bars. I always end up taking off the triple tree to make things easier.
+1... I just installed the Woodcraft ones on the other day and it took me a little over an hour. I've never changed out clip-ons but it wasn't too hard. Did it the same way too.

·
Level 7 awesome
34,135 Posts
Good luck with it James! Let us know how you like them after they are installed

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
calreef18 said:
Yeah that's more or less what I was doing, I still have the triple on though. It would be way easier with it off. I just don't want to take the right side apart again right now.

·
Members
5,173 Posts
what they said. to get it right on the way up the fork, just see how far each clipon clamp is from the very top before they hit the big black part that connects the top of your fork together
Just use measurements to make sure that both clions are the same height up the fork and adjusted the same. Just use something to measure
I see you're better at COD4 then you are working on bikes LOL

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
motomummy said:
what they said. to get it right on the way up the fork, just see how far each clipon clamp is from the very top before they hit the big black part that connects the top of your fork together
Just use measurements to make sure that both clions are the same height up the fork and adjusted the same. Just use something to measure
I see you're better at COD4 then you are working on bikes LOL
well I placed the clamps all the way up so they are touching the bottom of the triple, just like the stock bars were. I'm just having trouble gettting them lined up correcty as far as the angle and the distance from the frame when the bars are at either lock... Yeah I have experience working on cars, not bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts