Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded my ktm duke2 for a sweet GSXR1000. The suzuki runs awesome except for the clutch engagement. On a gentle, legal speed take off there is no problem. On an aggressive, clutch slipping launch, the engagement is grabby and inconsistant. The clutch will grab and slip in a jerking, lurching fashon with a chirp/whine sound when it grabs. Under hard acceleration and smooth clutch lever release it is impossible to get a smooth engagement. It was suggested to me that this may be caused by worn shudder springs. The rest of the clutch assembly has been replaced. The basket has slight notching but not excessive (my supermotos have been notched worse and still engaged smoothly). Due to my offroad/supermoto background i have no hands on experience with shudder springs or clutch cushion bands. Any insight is appreciated.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Found this, sounds like it may fix your problem:

========================================================================

For all the K1-K4 owners I have now found the cheap clutch fix.

Normally with high rpm drag style launches the clutch judders and usually engages to early and doesnt allow the rider to slip the clutch all the way to the end of the clutch lever travel.

Grab one of these from your local Kawasaki dealer.

13089-0003
plate - clutch
(from a 2004 ZX10R)

It cost $17.30 AUD, (ronayers.com has them for $7.47US)
http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts....ing=13089-0003

I just installed this new clutch cushion where the 1st steel was originally (towards the inside of the engine) and discarded the original suzuki wave washer & seat. so it went:
FIBRE, NEW STEEL(13089),FIBRE,STEEL,FIBRE,STEEL ETC,

The clutch now performs 100%. I recommend this mod to anyone considering buying a Brock Davidson Clutch Cushion and this is much cheaper and probably does the same job!

Keep an eye on the clutch stack height too. Factory specs are 1.885"-1.890" (47.88mm-48.06mm)
The new judder plate measures 3.8mm thick fully compressed, the factory steels are 2.3mm so the plate will give a bit more in the stack height.
My clutch is a bit worn I ended up with 48.6mm total with the new zx10 steel in there.

REMOVE 11 & 12
SWAP THE 1ST (TOWARDS ENGINE) STEEL WITH THE NEW ZX10R STEEL
The zx10 steel does not hard a hard edge & a rounded edge like the gsxr steels, it is smooth on both sides and can be installed anyway you like.
Its identical on both sides.

Also I know this has been covered a million times before but its important. After the clutch is all back together, readjust the cable. loosen off all the adjusters all the way and start from scratch.
The k1 & k2 manual says back out the screw 1/4 turn & the k3-k4-k5-k6 manual says 1/2 turn. I prefer 1/4 turn.

If you want to spend the money kawasaki also has an option:

13089-0011, it is 40% stronger than the original. RRP $118.52USD
13089-0012, it is 60% stronger than the original. RRP $118.52USD

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Just some testimony to the mod I posted.

clutch grabbing problem - Gixxer Forum - Welcome to the GSXR Revolution

Well, problem is now solved. First, along with the extra effort from the stiffer springs, shifting got much harder too, as if there was excessive friction in the clutch even with the lever pulled in (and yes, I checked the adjustments).
Here is what I did:
1) pulled it all apart again
2) did some light filing along the edges of the hub and basket to smooth out the gouges a bit. They weren't bad, but this filing can't be a bad thing
3) bought a zx10 clutch cushion at the local kawasaki dealer, installed it as the first steel in place of the suzuki rings
4) assembled it up...since the kaw cushion is thicker than the suzuki steel, it was too tall. so I removed one fiber from the middle of the stack. now goes fiber-cushion-fiber-steel-f-s-f-s-f-s-s-f-s-f-s-f-s-f. Since the steels dont slip relative to each other, I figure this would be OK, and keep me right about at specified stackup height.
5) used the stock springs
6) filled it up with non-synthetic oil

And it all works great. No judder, grab, bark. Great, smooth controllable engagement no matter how I do it. And the shift effort is back to what it should be.
Thanks for all the advice!
Wow, I did the ZX10 plate change mod the other day and it works? No chatter, I can do drag launches, a whole lot more engagement travel at the lever, what a difference. I left the stock plates in all but the pair I left out to fit the ZX piece in, they were fine with 24K miles on them, just the ZX plate did the trick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i totaly appriciate the effort on the kawi part. i think i would prefer the stock components and to retain all the fiber plates. was this a problem out of the box on the k3/4s? if a new set of judder springs will fix it i will go that rout...im not a heavy clutch abuser i just need a good smooth launch now and then...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ssoooo....i bought and installed the factory washer and judder spring or wave spring as suzuki calls it and it works perfect. Hard, leaning over the tank launches with the front wheel 2 inches off the ground for 40 feet are smooth and jerk free. No chirp, grab or anything but smooth control. Awesome and all fiber plates remain. More plates means more surface area, spreads wear across more material- clutch lasts longer, cools better, next owner dosnt wonder why there are 2 metal plates touching when he does the clutch....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found this, sounds like it may fix your problem:

========================================================================

For all the K1-K4 owners I have now found the cheap clutch fix.

Normally with high rpm drag style launches the clutch judders and usually engages to early and doesnt allow the rider to slip the clutch all the way to the end of the clutch lever travel.

Grab one of these from your local Kawasaki dealer.

13089-0003
plate - clutch
(from a 2004 ZX10R)

It cost $17.30 AUD, (ronayers.com has them for $7.47US)
http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts....ing=13089-0003

I just installed this new clutch cushion where the 1st steel was originally (towards the inside of the engine) and discarded the original suzuki wave washer & seat. so it went:
FIBRE, NEW STEEL(13089),FIBRE,STEEL,FIBRE,STEEL ETC,

The clutch now performs 100%. I recommend this mod to anyone considering buying a Brock Davidson Clutch Cushion and this is much cheaper and probably does the same job!

Keep an eye on the clutch stack height too. Factory specs are 1.885"-1.890" (47.88mm-48.06mm)
The new judder plate measures 3.8mm thick fully compressed, the factory steels are 2.3mm so the plate will give a bit more in the stack height.
My clutch is a bit worn I ended up with 48.6mm total with the new zx10 steel in there.

REMOVE 11 & 12
SWAP THE 1ST (TOWARDS ENGINE) STEEL WITH THE NEW ZX10R STEEL
The zx10 steel does not hard a hard edge & a rounded edge like the gsxr steels, it is smooth on both sides and can be installed anyway you like.
Its identical on both sides.

Also I know this has been covered a million times before but its important. After the clutch is all back together, readjust the cable. loosen off all the adjusters all the way and start from scratch.
The k1 & k2 manual says back out the screw 1/4 turn & the k3-k4-k5-k6 manual says 1/2 turn. I prefer 1/4 turn.

If you want to spend the money kawasaki also has an option:

13089-0011, it is 40% stronger than the original. RRP $118.52USD
13089-0012, it is 60% stronger than the original. RRP $118.52USD
I know this is an old thread but anyone know where I can get one of these in Australia cheapish?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts