1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"Mladin runs away with Superbike opener"
:badgerslayer:badgerslayer

View attachment 3782

The 2008 AMA Superbike Championship opener took a familiar shape, as six-time series king Mat Mladin powered off the line from pole and was never seriously challenged throughout the 15-lap contest at Daytona International Speedway.
As was so frequently the case in '07, one of the series' top two riders managed to nail the start while the other missed it ever so slightly and was never able to rebound. Defending series and race champion Ben Spies dropped a couple positions off the line, and while he fought to work his way up to the runner-up position, his Rockstar Makita Yoshimura Suzuki teammate opened an early two-second advantage by the second lap.
From there the Australian did what he does, putting his head down and maintaining a relentless pace, never allowing Spies to make any headway.
Mladin, whose major goal this season is to rebreak his year-old mark of 12 AMA Superbike wins in a single season, is off to a perfect start, quite the contrast to '07 when he started his championship campaign in a big hole after crashing during the opener.
The victory was a record-extending 64th of Mladin's illustrious AMA Superbike career.
While Spies was unable to win, he did manage to keep his season-plus streak of runner-up finishes intact, an approach that allowed him to successfully defend his crown last season.
Late last season Yamaha USA's Jason DiSalvo appeared to be in danger of losing his factory Superbike ride following his rookie season. Ultimately, Yamaha decided to retain the youngster and he's made them look wise already, backing up his first-ever Superbike front row qualifying performance with his first-ever class podium result.
Once Spies dropped him from second to third following the opening lap, DiSalvo held strong in third, opening several seconds padding back to fourth aboard his YZF-R1 Superbike, which also looks to have turned a corner over the offseason.
Third works Suzuki entry Tommy Hayden escaped from a four-way tilt for sixth, which included his brother Roger Hayden on the Monster Energy Kawasaki ZX-10R and the American Honda duo of Neil Hodgson and Miguel DuHamel, to track down Jordan Suzuki's Aaron Yates and Monster Energy Kawasaki's Jamie Hacking.
Hayden overtook the English-born Kawasaki ace on the final lap to steal away fourth with Hacking holding on for fifth and Yates claiming sixth.
Despite running wide in the infield Hodgson took seventh, followed by the younger Hayden.
Team M4 EMGO Suzuki's Blake Young followed up his Superstock runner-up finish with a ninth-place ride in the premier class opener, edging Jordan Suzuki's Geoff May and former World Superbike star Akira Yanagawa.
DuHamel finished off an already frustrating day by crashing his all-new CBR1000RR, while DiSalvo's teammate, Eric Bostrom, was forced to retire with a mechanical issue.
Mladin and Spies will go back at it when the series picks up at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL on April 18-20.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NOS-Nelson said:
Mat is awesome but Ben is probably the best rider on the planet.
He is a hell of a rider that's for sure, I just want Mladin to get #7 before he retires... and if Mat can shut down Ben this year then who's the better rider?

He would have had him last year if he didn't tuck it at Daytona

·
Certified Trackwhore
8,774 Posts
Plastic Cup Politics said:
He is a hell of a rider that's for sure, I just want Mladin to get #7 before he retires... and if Mat can shut down Ben this year then who's the better rider?

He would have had him last year if he didn't tuck it at Daytona
I'm just worried Ben may have too much on his mind with the Moto GP deal. We shall see.

·
Certified Trackwhore
8,774 Posts
well that makes two of us.

Not trying to take anything away from Ben whatsoever, because he is obviously already a hell of a rider, and I'm sure he will do nothing but get better.
Last year he crashed and came from dead last and passed everyone to win the race. I don't think anyone else can do that. Matt is a legend but I believe Ben is better.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NOS-Nelson said:
Alright damnit I think we need a wager for the season title.
As i've said, I like BOTH of them, but I've always been a Mladin fan, so I'm not going to switch to the new up and comer, even if he is FAST!

And like i've also said, once Mladin retires... I'm a Spies fan competely.

·
Certified Trackwhore
8,774 Posts
As i've said, I like BOTH of them, but I've always been a Mladin fan, so I'm not going to switch to the new up and comer, even if he is FAST!

And like i've also said, once Mladin retires... I'm a Spies fan competely.
For and old guy Mat kicks ass.

·
3,306 Posts
ben is my favorite rider, but i still think Mladin will take it this year. before the race started they were talking about how he's gotten himself in shape and ready for this season, and it obviously showed.

to Mladin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.