Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Everyone harps about wearing the right safety gear, helmet to protect your head, back protector to protect your back, etc... but how many people wear ear plugs or some sort of hearing protection when they ride. Sportrider or Motorcyclist magazine (I can't remember which one) featured an article about hearing protection. 100 db at 70mph & 120db at 80mph.

I know I've lost some of my hearing due to not wearing double hearing protection working around F-18's. I really don't need to lose any more to my hobby.

·
3,677 Posts
Hong3103 said:
Everyone harps about wearing the right safety gear, helmet to protect your head, back protector to protect your back, etc... but how many people wear ear plugs or some sort of hearing protection when they ride. Sportrider or Motorcyclist magazine (I can't remember which one) featured an article about hearing protection. 100 db at 70mph & 120db at 80mph.

I know I've lost some of my hearing due to not wearing double hearing protection working around F-18's. I really don't need to lose any more to my hobby.
are you sure those are accurate db readings? every db increase it is like 10x as loud as the previous db rating, and most motorcycle exhausts arent rated above 120 db at wot

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
silversv1k said:
are you sure those are accurate db readings? every db increase it is like 10x as loud as the previous db rating, and most motorcycle exhausts arent rated above 120 db at wot
Thats what was in the article. I don't know what kind of helmet they were using. It wasn't even the sound of the exhaust that was loud. Its the wind blowing by the helmet.

·
2,452 Posts
thats funny cause i have the $100 ear plugs which takes out about all of outside noise. but replaces music that is even louder so i still lose.

Its so loud that even if someone is in my face yelling (seriously yelling) i cant hear them.

But when im in the hills or doing excessive speeding i tend to tune everything out until i slow down.

·
1,055 Posts
i just bought an ipod this year but even if i would have it on while i ride then only on low volume so i can still hear whats going on

·
584 Posts
I am a recent convert. Between the wind and the Mega growling on a 1 hour commute at 75 mph avg I had to have something. Couldn't find any cheap foam type that hooked up well and stayed in. Currently running with these wax jobs. You get a good custom seal each time.

Attachments

·
Level 7 awesome
34,135 Posts
Music for me as well. I know it's not good for me, but it's addicting

·
513 Posts
I use the foam type ear plugs, buy them in sporting good dept. I have an arai rx-7 and those are kinda loud anyway. Seems easier to concentrate with ear plugs in.

·
Members
5,173 Posts
I don't use them on the street or in town as i like to have all my senses, but when on a long commute earplugs make a HUGE difference in fatigue. You won't get nearly as tired as quickly by having your senses pounded for hours on end.

·
1,588 Posts
I have a set of noise attenuation plugs. They are great.. They only block out sounds above a certain db rating... cost me about 30 bucks and have 2 different inserts depending on what levels you want to block. They are designed to eliminated the wind noise at high speeds as well as any sounds above a specific db rating.

·
2,452 Posts
the good thing about music too is that you can make yourself stay energized if your listen to the right stuff

·
Level 7 awesome
34,135 Posts
05oaklandGSXR600 said:
the good thing about music too is that you can make yourself stay energized if your listen to the right stuff
Some of it will get ya in the zone for sure

·
2,452 Posts
its funny... when i ride on trips with the MC i all of a sudden break out of formation and start moving around on the bike and twisting the thottle. everybody starts looking at me like wtf...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts