Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from my Kawasaki dealer's shop who serviced my 1994 CBR900RR yesterday and my GSX-R 750 K8 today but there is something weird since!
He's been working on my ZRX1200Rs for 3 or 4 years, so I decided to bring him my other bikes to be serviced because he's usually serious and a good mechanic and workshop manager ( he's had quite a few bikes of different brands, from 1994 CBR900RRs like mine, 750s and 1000GSX-Rs to ZX-10Rs among others! ), so he knows how to work on a lot and not only on Kawasaki.
They had quite a bit to do, the oil change had already been done and the oil filter replaced and 300V oil used as this is a bike I will be using on track.
Tomorrow morning at 8am, I'm supposed to be in front of the Carole circuit at 30 or 40 km from Paris for a day, to learn the basics of riding on track with some other people, with my GSX-R 750 K8 and all my equipment (Tacing suit, boots and Racing gloves ...)!
This afternoon, they replaced the coolant, the brake fluid and added an avia hose for the rear brake because there were already direct avia hoses on the front brakes.
They put new spark plugs, new stock air filter, replaced the faulty gear indicator, installed an Akrapovic carbon hex muffler instead of the short carbon GP style exhaust from SC Project GPM2 (for the moment the Akrapovic still has the DB killer and I'm a bit disappointed with the sound, I thought I'd like it a lot more, while the GPM2 has more of a GP exhaust sound, even with the DB killer and without the DB killer, it makes the ears bleed) ; it's too loud if you don't have earplugs! ).
They also replaced the two steering bearings (the bike has about 42000 km ), drained and replaced the fork oil with original 5W and I think that's where my problem starts!
Because they finished the maintenance quickly while the shop was closing and I think they forgot to tighten something properly, because every time I brake from the front brake I feel my handlebar move forward and up and the fork come back to the exhaust manifold, like the handlebar goes forward and the whole fork follows by lifting and coming back at the same time and also, my handlebar and steering are much harder to handle!
The front of the bike feels like it's bobbing (not sure that's the right word for it)!
I can't go to a track with a bike whose steering doesn't react properly and whose fork moves back and forth!

Any idea what I need to tighten up to correct this problem?

Could it just be the steering bearings they forgot to tighten, because I feel like that's exactly what it would do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definitly take it back , take your pissed off attitude with you .. tell the Owner , Manager to take it for a ride , and go really fast ... maybe they will get the message ...
Maybe send your laywer first ..... My job at the dealershio was the test rider , belive me , It better be right or the serviceman got an earfull ... Now my grandson is my test rider .. It better be right ....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitly take it back , take your pissed off attitude with you .. tell the Owner , Manager to take it for a ride , and go really fast ... maybe they will get the message ...
Maybe send your laywer first ..... My job at the dealershio was the test rider , belive me , It better be right or the serviceman got an earfull ... Now my grandson is my test rider .. It better be right ....
i went back to the workshop as it was too risky to go to my track day like that but i did not need to do all that !
They checked the motorcylce , saw there was a problem , tried to fix it but they had difficulties to do it and while doing so , they damaged the steering bearings !
So they decided'directly to order some other brand new steering bearings as they did not want to take any risk with that , they got it quickly by the end of the day friday evening .
I went back home with scooter they lent me and one of their mechanic came Two hours earlier than they usualy start to work ( he came at 7:30 am instead of 9:30:am) , to work on my bike on saturday morning , to be able to finish It before noon.
in fact it was one of the steering bearings that had not been installed correctly , flat where it is supposed to be and so, with the pressure while driving , it made some play making the bearing move in the steering column , explaining the symptoms i have felt.
They did not ask me to pay for anything more than what i had already paid, they paid for the new steering bearings , did not make me pay for all the extra hours they had to work on my bike and i could get it back working saturday afternoon ( it was ready by 11 am already ) , after they verified nothing had been damaged apart from the steering bearings !
I think they appreciated i did not get really angry , just telling them i was dispointed to do not have been able to go to my track day but that's all .
Usualy they work well , so shits can happen and the most important is that i saw the problem quickly , that they could resolve it without anything else got damaged and that it now works as it should !
I like them , they are nice persons and usualy are quite conscientious but that day they wanted to give me back my motorbike that evening because i was not really happy to have come to pick it up that thursday evening and see it was not ready yet , whereas they could simply had phoned me to avoid i come to the workshop for nothing once again and simply come the next day when it would have been finished ( as it had happened once already the day before with another of my bike on wich they had not finished to work , so i had to go back home with a scooter they lent me , for they have the time to finish the bike the next day ) .
So they tried to finish this one too quickly in 20 mn before they close at 6:30 pm and did not took the time to try the GSX-R before giving it back to me, what was a mistake !
I will write more about all that later tonight .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts