Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://hubblesite.org/hubble_discoveries/dark_energy/

Pretty cool stuff, it's an anomaly. It hurts my brain to think about it.

With dark energy, the fate of the universe might go well beyond the Big Chill. In the strangest and most speculative scenario, as the universe expands ever faster, all of gravity's work will be undone. Clusters of galaxies will disband and separate. Then galaxies themselves will be torn apart. The solar system, stars, planets, and even molecules and atoms could be shredded by the ever-faster expansion. The universe that was born in a violent expansion could end with an even more violent expansion called the Big Rip.
So out of the three scenarios for the fate of the universe - re-collapse to a Big Crunch, expand ever more slowly to a Big Chill, or expand ever faster to a Big Rip - we have managed to narrow the possibilities down somewhat.
Evidence has ruled out the Big Crunch. The Big Chill is probably the least that will happen. Whether or not the universe goes all the way to a Big Rip depends on what dark energy really is, and whether it will stay constant forever or fade away as suddenly as it appears to have arisen. And that we do not yet know.
http://hubblesite.org/hubble_discoveries/dark_energy/de-fate_of_the_universe.php

·
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cliff Notes:
-There is an unknown, mystery force that causes the universe to continue expanding.
-The force is stronger than gravity
-Eventually it will push the universe so far apart that even atoms are ripped apart and obliterated

Good thing we still have a few billion more years at least.

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
Grandevil said:
Cliff Notes:
-There is an unknown, mystery force that causes the universe to continue expanding.
-The force is stronger than gravity
-Eventually it will push the universe so far apart that even atoms are ripped apart and obliterated

Good thing we still have a few billion more years at least.
"Sooo, you're saying I've got a little time then...?" 5th Element :biggrin

Pic of Saturn, one of my faves...

·
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
suds1485 said:
just think that we will never know why we are here
Probably because there is no reason/motive that we are here. Most of the time we're just trying to see patterns where there are none, just like they're doing with the most recent school shooting perpetrator. He was described as normal, had never had a history of violence or arrest, he was a college grad, he was the VP of his criminal justice club. They finally figured out that he had spent some time in a psychiatric group setting or something, which again, logically, does not mean that the shooting would have happened.

We need patterns to reinforce the illusion of control we all have to have leave the house every day.

·
Registered
643 Posts
i dont think we need patterns to reinforce anything but that is just me. i think people need to come to grips that we are a very small part of something very big and they need to realize how insignificant we really are.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
stephen hawking goes into this in his book "a brief history of time", which is an excellent read if you are into this type of thing. another great book to read if you are somewhat knowledgable is "just 6 numbers" by martin rees.

<--reads science and math books for fun in his spare time.

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
anthony said:
stephen hawking goes into this in his book "a brief history of time", which is an excellent read if you are into this type of thing. another great book to read if you are somewhat knowledgable is "just 6 numbers" by martin rees.

<--reads science and math books for fun in his spare time.
And break dances to Michael Jackson...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts