Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first sportbike a 2001 750 GSXR it's actually my first street bike and I am trying to find out how many gears are on this bike and what gear should I be in at around 45mph I am still trying to get a feel for it so i have not taken it out on the highway yet but if I am in the last gear it seems that I am one gear to high.

·
315 Posts
I'm not sure what gear i am in at what speed, i ride and shift according to RPM. If I'm just chilling and cruising I'll only be at around 3K but when on the open roads it will be up to around 8-10K. when really winding it up in the twisties I'll go +10K. It all depends on the road and conditions and what i'm doing.

Because this is your first street bike, I suggest taking a MSF course. Have fun and ride safe.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
SiN-76 said:
I just bought my first sportbike a 2001 750 GSXR it's actually my first street bike and I am trying to find out how many gears are on this bike and what gear should I be in at around 45mph I am still trying to get a feel for it so i have not taken it out on the highway yet but if I am in the last gear it seems that I am one gear to high.
You are asking how many gears are on the bike whatsoever? 6 if that is your question, all modern bikes (or any that I have ever ridden) have been that way.

A simple one down, and five up.

But like TwoTyres said, if you are unaware of those kinds of things it would be a way better idea to take a MSF course first to learn about riding before you just take to the streets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I do plan on taking the MSF course but they are all booked up for the next few weekends. The reason that I am asking is I have only ridden dirtbikes till this point and I bought a used GSXR that needs some TLC and I just want to make sure that the tranny is fine or if I should have it looked at.
The bike pulls a little when I am in 1st and have the clutch down and the tranny sounds stressed when I try to put it in 6th at say 45 mph or so.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Alright I gotcha, well you don't need to be anywhere near 6th gear at 45 mph, I ride am 06 1K and I usually am in 2nd... or even 1st gear at that speed. But our bikes are alot different. I would say at your normal street speeds you should stay in or around 3rd gear, the only time you should use 5th and 6th are at highway speeds.

But these are all types of things you will learn in the MSF course. I wouldn't suggest trying to learn how the bike rides on the highway/street without a lot of knowledge and practice. If all else fails and you can't wait to ride before the next available MSF course, just go to a neighborhood or large parking lot. Get used to the physics of a sportbike, it's a whole different ball game from dirt.

·
315 Posts
If you read the owners manual, it states,
up shifting
1-2 @ 12mph
2-3 @ 19mph
3-4 @ 25mph
4-5 @ 31mph
5-6 @ 37mph.

I would ignore that info and shift at whats best for you.

When i take my bike out later today, I'll ride at 45 in 6th and see how it pulls.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
TwoTyres said:
If you read the owners manual, it states,
up shifting
1-2 @ 12mph
2-3 @ 19mph
3-4 @ 25mph
4-5 @ 31mph
5-6 @ 37mph.

I would ignore that info and shift at whats best for you.

When i take my bike out later today, I'll ride at 45 in 6th and see how it pulls.
holy crap, I would ignore that to.

5-6 at 37mph? wow...

·
235 Posts
at 45 mph you should be in 2nd or 3rd, for me i'd be in 2nd, but i tend to carry a little extra rpm in case i need to get out of a jam quickly. 45 should be around 5-6k in 2nd i think with stock gearing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts