Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner

Helmet camera/Bullet camera options/opinions welcome

2K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Captain Squid 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
im not an expert...but it depends on what you want...i found one at Sams for 80 bucks...called an ATC 2000. Its self recording so all you need is a SD card like a camera and 2 AA batteries....no messy wires that run to a camera.

It aint the best, but i like its mobility...still in testing phase though as its been cold out

#3 ·
Just something I can mount under the front fairing for trackdays, ect. The self recording to an SD card would be cool, as I don't need a big ass screen mounted in the way. How's yours power on? Got any pics/links? I'll do some searching, but
to the forum

#4 ·
squid4life said:
im not an expert...but it depends on what you want...i found one at Sams for 80 bucks...called an ATC 2000. Its self recording so all you need is a SD card like a camera and 2 AA batteries....no messy wires that run to a camera.

It aint the best, but i like its mobility...still in testing phase though as its been cold out
Hmmm......been doing some reaserch....looks like it's expandable memory up to 2GB....wonder how long that would record for:eek:h

EIDT: found a review....looks like about 60 min!

http://helmetcameracentral.com/2006/11/06/oregon-scientific-atc2k-atc-2000-helmet-camera/

#6 ·
Try out www.twenty20camera.com I just got their helmet cam and it is amazing. I have done test footage with it mounted to different spots on the bike and here is some of them. If you wanna see more just look my name up on youtube for more of my test footage. Also if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

#8 ·
I use a twenty20 and it works great, but you also have to have on board recording device which I use a little Sony handycam, which is nice too because you can slap it on your partners bike with a tank mount real quick and get video of you riding instead of videoing everyone else only. I also slap just the handy cam on because it's quick, simple, and no wires. I have only hit it on the straight when tucking in.

#10 ·
Captain Squid said:
Hmmm......been doing some reaserch....looks like it's expandable memory up to 2GB....wonder how long that would record for:eek:h

EIDT: found a review....looks like about 60 min!

http://helmetcameracentral.com/2006/11/06/oregon-scientific-atc2k-atc-2000-helmet-camera/
NOOOO!!!! Dont buy it, i picked it up right before I went to the gap last year. Took it down and found out the hard way the batteries cannot handle ANY heat above 70 degrees. Plus if you add any vibration to them they shut off within 15 seconds. I was so disappointed cuz thats the only damn camera i took. I tried it out first but only with my truck which is air conditioned inside. A buddy had the SAME exact issue so i know its no fluke. I just bought a sony cyber shot 7.2 megpix camera and a tank mount. So far its been flawless and i have a 2 gig card in it.

#11 ·
fire337 said:
Try out www.twenty20camera.com I just got their helmet cam and it is amazing. I have done test footage with it mounted to different spots on the bike and here is some of them. If you wanna see more just look my name up on youtube for more of my test footage. Also if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

wow fire you ride with some squids! i cant even imagine riding with no gloves.

I like the footage angles though, kinda laggy in some parts. Heres what i got with my sony and a tank mount. Sorry for some of the jank riding i was new at editing so i couldnt cut it all out. And some of it is in slow mo which give it that lag effect you see with the 20 20. The vibrations I attribute to having NO bar ends in (not a problem anymore, squid just hooked me up with some). I'm the blue and white gix with no stickers if your wondering...

Recognize any of those pics squid? some are from your neck of the woods last year at the gap.

EDIT: Sorry Fire, your cameras a 100 times better than it looked on the forum. FYI load up youtube to watch the videos you see. Much clearer.

#12 ·
J4Rowell said:
NOOOO!!!! Dont buy it, i picked it up right before I went to the gap last year. Took it down and found out the hard way the batteries cannot handle ANY heat above 70 degrees. Plus if you add any vibration to them they shut off within 15 seconds. I was so disappointed cuz thats the only damn camera i took. I tried it out first but only with my truck which is air conditioned inside. A buddy had the SAME exact issue so i know its no fluke. I just bought a sony cyber shot 7.2 megpix camera and a tank mount. So far its been flawless and i have a 2 gig card in it.
You get what you pay for with the ATC2000. Its struggles in anything other than ideal lighting. Image quality isnt great. Im still intending to buy one for mounting on my 250 and as a second camera on my GSXR. Large bumps will stop most cameras particularly card based camera as far as i can tell.

On my GSXR i use a Canon IXUS 75 (powershot ??? in the USA) still camera and a tank camera mount. It will shoot video up to the max SDHC card size the camera will recognise, which is 4gb.

View attachment 1853 View attachment 1854 View attachment 1855

#13 ·
Yeah I have a regular digital cam-order that resords straight to a mini disk then you can just format it and watch it. I was wanting something I could mount under the front fairing and just leave it, instead of having a tank mount, which immediatly draws attention to you

#14 ·
Captain Squid said:
Yeah I have a regular digital cam-order that resords straight to a mini disk then you can just format it and watch it. I was wanting something I could mount under the front fairing and just leave it, instead of having a tank mount, which immediatly draws attention to you
Definately true about the attention aspect. The gap especially. Last year they were nabbing cars with cameras if i remember correctly. I'm still going to use it but its just a risk. I'll be down there from May 3-8th if anyone is going to be around!

#15 ·
I live close (~100 miles) so just shoot me a PM when you go. That's why I liked the ATC2K so much, beacuse you could mount it under the front fairing or on top of the front fender and be done and it's out of sight (pretty much)

#16 ·
Captain Squid said:
I live close (~100 miles) so just shoot me a PM when you go. That's why I liked the ATC2K so much, beacuse you could mount it under the front fairing or on top of the front fender and be done and it's out of sight (pretty much)
sounds good brad, i'm looking forward to it. Theres about 9 bikes goin with plus several chicks. Should be a good time!

Joe

#17 ·
J4Rowell, yea those videos there are all my first time using the camera and editing anything so still alot to learn and figure out, but overall very happy with the camera. Nice video you put together. What editing software do you use?

#18 ·
fire337 said:
J4Rowell, yea those videos there are all my first time using the camera and editing anything so still alot to learn and figure out, but overall very happy with the camera. Nice video you put together. What editing software do you use?
just windows movie maker... are you molding your ram air into your front cowl? thats probabaly going to look pretty bad ass. Post pics when your done!

#19 ·
Are you meaning my avatar pic? That is the front end off my gsxr 750 which I totalled while at Deals Gap last year. Just getting a picture of it with the tree before it became part of it.:biggrin

#21 ·
fire337 said:
Are you meaning my avatar pic? That is the front end off my gsxr 750 which I totalled while at Deals Gap last year. Just getting a picture of it with the tree before it became part of it.:biggrin
oh hahaha. I looked at it too quick. Looked like your ram air duct on the left was now just blended into the front. Really it was the reflection off you pants. Or maybe the pleats. You should get that checked out. :biggrin

05oaklandGSXR600 said:
why every camera that i use always cuts off when i go to fast (not vibration)...
thats what happens when you hit mach 3 you speed racer.

#23 ·
Mine gets small little lags in the video and I think it is simply having trouble processing everything at high speeds. Just a guess though as I am no camera expert.

#24 ·
Captain Squid said:
http://www.ce-digital.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=SPORTS <------You'll have to scroll to the bottom for this one
Looks liek this is the one I'm goign to go with. I know the guy from various forums, and he does trackdays with my boss! He's going to hook me up big time with one! He emailed me some trackday footage and I am very impressed with it

#25 ·
while we are at it... what kind of gps thing do people use to correct their speedo...

is it different from the...... damn i cant remember what they are called, but its what everyone talks about when someone brings this question up

#26 ·
hook a brotha up! i'll take one if you can help me out with a deal. I'm kinda broke but i've been drooling over the camera setups you guys have been talkin about. Let me know if you can do anything, no pressure though. Not trying to be a mooch.

05oaklandGSXR600 said:
while we are at it... what kind of gps thing do people use to correct their speedo...

is it different from the...... damn i cant remember what they are called, but its what everyone talks about when someone brings this question up
speedo healer... there a new one coming out. Theres another one on the market, but i heard its a little harder to tune. I've never used it, just the word on the streets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.