Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Just wondering if anyone knows more about the High and Low Compression settings on the K7 and K8 suspension.

I have searched the internet, and read the basic info in the Owners Manual, but it does not really explain enough to know eactly how adjusting each will affect the ride.

·
Site Sponsor
1,445 Posts
It's based on the speed of fork movement over a bump.

High speed compression adjusts the dampening when the fork moves quickly Low speed when it moves slowly. So sharp bumps or ripples would be high speed while undulating surfaces or slow braking would be low speed. It's all based on how quickly the fork leg is moving inside of itself.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have found the following recommended settings:
Front Rebound - 5 Clicks out
Front Low-Speed Compression - 15 Clicks out
Front High-Speed Compression - 2.5 turns out

Rear Rebound - 15 Clicks out
Rear Low-Speed Compression - 15 Clicks out
Rear High-Speed Compression - 3 turns out

I found those settings ok, but a hard / fast bump still seemed to push your spine. I tried a couple more turns out on the Rear High-Speed Compression, and that was much more comfortable, but it almost seems to affect Low-Speed Compression as well. Those settings above would be fine on the track I suspect, but for road riding, I would be interested in what others have found.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have continued to try various settings on my suspension to find the best for me, which is firm but not too harsh, and following the road surface without the wheels jumping on bumps. I could have replaced the suspension with Ohlins, as many say, but down here in New Zealand it costs a lot for that sort of stuff. So I was determined that the OEM with all its adjustments must be able to get good enough for me to be happy. (I am around 70 kg's)

I would just mention, I have had a K4 and a K6, and never felt the need to make any adjustments. They were great from brand new. The K8 was a different story. It needed adjustments.

I mostly ride on the road, and what was important was comfort on the highway, and handling in the back road twisties. I do the odd track day, but not many.

Front Spring Preload - 5 lines showing
Front Rebound - 5 clicks out
Front Low-speed compression - 13 clicks out
Front High-speed compression - 3.5 turns out

Rear Spring Preload - No change
Rear Rebound - 12 clicks out
Rear Low-speed compression - 14 clicks out
Rear High-speed compression - 3 turns out

I have done a lot of reading and thinking. I found the following general points of note:

1. Don't think you can just change one setting to get a desired change, and expect everything else to stay the same. One change affects others.
2. Softening Compression does not necessarily make the ride softer. It reduces damping, resulting in a greater shock when the limit of spring / to bump is reached.
3. All of the Rebound and Compression settings are damping. So you only change them if you want to speed up or slow down the movement of the wheel.
4. I think this is a science, and do not expect that I have even scratched the surface. I just wanted to feel as comfortable, and confident as I did on my K6. I think I have done that now.

·
387 Posts
i checked my stock settings, and, other than the preload, only the rear high speed compression was different than your 2nd settings, of course my preload would be different as i weigh approx 95-97 kilos

·
Registered
4 Posts
i,m also 70kg and have the same colour gixxer like yours..the oem setting is a bit harsh to our weight. have done nothing with the setting but only reduce the tire pressure. i,ve set my pressure(Bridgestone 015) to 30 (front) ,34 (rear). It feels much better.

·
10 Posts
gacoll said:
I have continued to try various settings on my suspension to find the best for me, which is firm but not too harsh, and following the road surface without the wheels jumping on bumps. I could have replaced the suspension with Ohlins, as many say, but down here in New Zealand it costs a lot for that sort of stuff. So I was determined that the OEM with all its adjustments must be able to get good enough for me to be happy. (I am around 70 kg's)

I would just mention, I have had a K4 and a K6, and never felt the need to make any adjustments. They were great from brand new. The K8 was a different story. It needed adjustments.

I mostly ride on the road, and what was important was comfort on the highway, and handling in the back road twisties. I do the odd track day, but not many.

Front Spring Preload - 5 lines showing
Front Rebound - 5 clicks out
Front Low-speed compression - 13 clicks out
Front High-speed compression - 3.5 turns out

Rear Spring Preload - No change
Rear Rebound - 12 clicks out
Rear Low-speed compression - 14 clicks out
Rear High-speed compression - 3 turns out

I have done a lot of reading and thinking. I found the following general points of note:

1. Don't think you can just change one setting to get a desired change, and expect everything else to stay the same. One change affects others.
2. Softening Compression does not necessarily make the ride softer. It reduces damping, resulting in a greater shock when the limit of spring / to bump is reached.
3. All of the Rebound and Compression settings are damping. So you only change them if you want to speed up or slow down the movement of the wheel.
4. I think this is a science, and do not expect that I have even scratched the surface. I just wanted to feel as comfortable, and confident as I did on my K6. I think I have done that now.
That's very close to my own settings. I have been riding/adjusting mine for several weeks and have settled on these...

front- preload---------5.75 lines out
rebound----------------------------5 clicks out
low speed comp.------------------15 clicks out
high speed comp.-----------------8.3 half turns out

rear- preload--------------------3/4 turn tighter than factory setting
rebound--------------------------10 clicks out
low speed comp.----------------15 clicks out
high speed comp.---------------7.75 half turns out

This works great for me for street riding and aggressive riding the twisties. BTW, I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts