Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

how the hell do they drift into a turn and out of one if they didnt start on the way into a turn?

cause i know if im pushing it i'll lock my back up then make my lean and gas out... (but i wont drift)

and when they drift out do they drop the gear with gas to get that tire spinning?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
05oaklandGSXR600 said:
how the hell do they drift into a turn and out of one if they didnt start on the way into a turn?

cause i know if im pushing it i'll lock my back up then make my lean and gas out... (but i wont drift)

and when they drift out do they drop the gear with gas to get that tire spinning?
huh?

i think you are talking about backing it into a turn, and then spinning the rear tire coming out of the turn.

when entering the turn, racers are sometimes so hard on the front brakes that the back end begins to fishtail. all they do is carry that momentum through the turn while countersteering to get their line right, and then once they get on the gas and the rear tire begins to spin, they hold steady throttle and countersteer once again.

·
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so when i lock up my brake in the twisties and counter steering (while hearing that da da da da da noise) im doing the same thing?

if so, i guess now i just need to practice that gasing out...

i'll be GP in no time

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
At that lean angle with only an inch or half an inch of tire touching the pavement, you twist the throttle on any bike you will be able to spin or smoke the tire, question will be, can you control it???

Most cannot and therefore a wicked high-side may ensue

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
05oaklandGSXR600 said:
so when i lock up my brake in the twisties and counter steering (while hearing that da da da da da noise) im doing the same thing?

if so, i guess now i just need to practice that gasing out...

i'll be GP in no time
you should not be locking up the brake at all. that is bad.

when these guys back it in to a turn, it is similar to backing a dirtbike in, the rear tire is still spinning, and that is what is causing the rear to fishtail like that.

·
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wait lt me speak a lil clearer....

i wont lock my back up and when i ment lock up the brake i ment when using the front brake hard enough you hear that click click click noise.... like in the one youtube video.... let me go find it hold on

here it is
http://www.gixxer-forum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=887

post number 22

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
the bike he is riding is an older gixxer 1000, without a slipper clutch. that clicking sound you hear in the video is the back wheel skipping along the ground from a downshift (not from using the brakes), and the noise is all the drivetrain lash being sent back through the transmission.

edited for incorrect content.

·
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when i down shift for a turn my back tire locks up... you sure its the tire skipping all the time?

i need some to ride with me with a camera so i can see how i ride... i hate guessing and making others guess to as if they're rite with me.... thanks though on the assistance

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
shit, my bad! i just noticed you have a k5 600, not a k6... your bike does not have the slipper clutch, and therefore if you don't rev-match properly your rear tire will indeed lock up. i apologize dude...

when you are going for a downshift, you need to blip the throttle when you pull the clutch in to match the engine revs with the tire revs. if there is too much of a difference between the two, your tire will lock up and cause problems.

so the correct procedure should be:
1. apply front brake
2. pull in clutch
3. blip throttle while hitting your downshift
4. release clutch

you need to practice this so that you can do it quickly and smoothly, that will prevent any lock-up.

·
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so if im riding and down shift and the tire locks up am i sliding into the turn?

(Smiling waiting on the outcome.... please say yes please say yes)

·
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:rofl

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i can understand where you are coming from, but there is a big difference between what is happening to you and what is happening to the racers.

you - locking up the rear tire, skidding into a turn due to too much engine braking. not very controllable, even if supremely talented.

them - sliding the rear tire out due to the amount of front brake taking weight off the rear tire, and the slipper clutch allowing the rear tire to continue spinning. controllable if you are good enough.

·
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ronaldo9 said:
Get your downshifting and braking done before the turn lol, that's a scary feeling when the back end gets squirmish from a downshift as your entering the turn.
yea it kind of gets me but as much as i play around sliding for 100-200 feet while getting sideways or turning around has me stable now...

But yeah, it would be a bad look if i dont get to slow down quick enough LOL

anthony said:
i can understand where you are coming from, but there is a big difference between what is happening to you and what is happening to the racers.

you - locking up the rear tire, skidding into a turn due to too much engine braking. not very controllable, even if supremely talented.

them - sliding the rear tire out due to the amount of front brake taking weight off the rear tire, and the slipper clutch allowing the rear tire to continue spinning. controllable if you are good enough.
Okay i see it now... ahhhhh (halo sound above my head)

but im on my way up... lol

·
Site Sponsor
1,445 Posts
It's a very common way to ride, steering with the rear. If you swing the rear around either with engine braking or throttle (spinning up the rear) you can point the bike where you want to go very quickly. I cant do it (on purpose) with any control so I dont try. I usually get the back a little twisted up on corner entry but I really dont feel comfortable when i spin it up coming out. I've done it very good once, and it scared the hell out of me. It's really quite a ride really. You feel the back let loose, then it starts to jump under you and you keep a handfull of throttle. In my case I was also praying profusly and urinating in my leathers but it was cool.

If you want to try to learn it on the track run your tires about a pound low on hot pressure. About 3 hard laps in your tires will grease up and you'll be sliding everywhere. It usually ends with me in a gravel trap but you have to learn somehow right?

·
1,588 Posts
TrackStar1 said:
If you want to try to learn it on the track run your tires about a pound low on hot pressure. About 3 hard laps in your tires will grease up and you'll be sliding everywhere. It usually ends with me in a gravel trap but you have to learn somehow right?
Dumb advice in my opinion. Quit telling people to crash their bikes.. If you want to learn it, the safest and cheapest would be on a dirtbike or motard flatracking.

·
Level 7 awesome
34,135 Posts
ronaldo9 said:
Get your downshifting and braking done before the turn lol, that's a scary feeling when the back end gets squirmish from a downshift as your entering the turn.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts