Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to post up a few pics of my first track/school last year. It was hot as hell as one would expect in GA in mid-summer, but everyone managed. The students run stock 600's with the exception of a few with aftermarket pipes. All were shod with PP's. Instructors run 750's. :20 classroom, :10 transition to track, :20 track session, :10 to transition to classroom. The instructors were great. They got with each person in the group that they led and gave you a quick little one on one. I love this track. Out of turn 7 up through the gears, tucked in and off the limiter if you want in 6th before getting on it hard for 10a. Ran the majority of the track in 3rd, a couple of short changes into 2nd for turn 5 and turn 7 and turn 10a. Caught 4th briefly after turn 5 and turn 12 (front stretch). I hear they are in fact reworking 12. It was a tricky turn in that it is at the bottom of the hill (transitions to flat) and there is no camber (wrong word) or no banked, kind of zings you to the outside right where the wall is (ask Mig). Enjoy.

Attachments

·
93 Posts
Congrats on winning most improved! I was runner up last year when I attended and got a cool jacket!

I'm going back this May and can't wait!! :biggrin

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HondaGalToo said:
Congrats on winning most improved! I was runner up last year when I attended and got a cool jacket!

I'm going back this May and can't wait!! :biggrin
May 22-23? I'm signed up for that class too. Hopefully get a 30 day jump on the heat, end of June was about unbearable.

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$1600 ish for the (2) day and their bike or $1200 w/yours. The (3) day school is $2200 I think, bike provided.

·
750 Posts
damn...theres like 30 freakin bikes in that first pic:wow

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plastic Cup Politics said:
Here's the million dollar question, "is it worth it?"
On the instruction side, to me there was not a whole lot there. Just building each time on simple concepts and then going out there and supposedly working on them. They emphasized to ride at 80% of your ability so the learning could take place. That worked for me for the first two sessions then I was balls to the wall. I went from B group (no track experience) middle group to the middle group in group A (racers or lots of track) the first day. On the last day I rode with the first group in group A, that was a blast. I just said frick it, if this guy/girls bike can do it so can I.

I am doing a VIR track day 3/25 so then I will have something to compare it to. I have heard this can be a free for all and a little sketchy. What was nice at KSSS was that the instructors were communicating with each other and they would set up their particular group to pass or get passed and you really didn't spend much time lagging behind a slower group. Most of the time you were in a three group train behind your instructor riding at your limit. The instructor went as fast as the student directly behind him could go. It was sweet on the end of the first day when I was number one to follow the instructor, on the front stretch he looked back and tapped the tail of his bike (stay close). We smoked through that lap, left the two other students behind. At the start/finish he looked back and I was still there, he turned and gave me a little clap. That was my best moment right there.

I have only ridden RA and I just want to get back. Popped my cherry there I guess. It is fast and lots of elevation. Turn 11 I never got used to. Shifting into third at the crest of the hill, you see nothing but the tops of pine trees. Shift at the top of the hill and the bike unloads and gets VERY light. You have to trust your line, very sketchy.

I guess its worth it, I'm headed back and can't wait.

·
93 Posts
speedwasinvolved said:
May 22-23? I'm signed up for that class too. Hopefully get a 30 day jump on the heat, end of June was about unbearable.
Yup, that's the one! Looking forward to meeting you! I went in early May last year and the weather was great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts