Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up all, I was thinking of having LoJack installed on the new ride. I don't have a garage but I plan on getting the Cycle Shell and keeping it on the driveway. I'm just not sure if it is worth it to drop the cash for LoJack if the comprehensive coverage is going to take care of the expenses if the bike gets jacked. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
... is this for your bike listed underneath your avatar. I didn't think Ninja 250's got stolen that often. I's assume that the R bikes are the ones that jacked all the time.

If the Ninja 250 is your bike I'd just go with full coverage insurance. Way cheaper than LoJack. I'd get it for a bike thats more likely to get stolen.

When you plan on upgrading to an "R" bike I'd at the very least get full coverage insurance. It all depends on how much you value your bike. I used the money I earned from Iraq to buy my bike so it's worth something to me even though insurance can get me a new bike if it is stolen and not recovered.

I have LoJack w/ the Early Warning System installed on my bike. Cost almost $1,000. If it is moved w/o the key fob present LoJack sends me a text message, calls, & sends me an email that my bike is moving w/o me present. I'm happy with it, gives me that piece of mind.

·
Registered
7,073 Posts
this is an interesting question I also have asked myself recently. Lo-jack is a great product that works very well. The issue I have is that I don't want my bike stolen in the first place. The thinking behind lo-jack is, from what I understand, that it can help recover stolen property after the crime has been committed. I just don't know how much of a [FONT=&quot]deterrent lo-jack is? I couldn't imagine it being much. I would probably just stick to an alarm. I could see lo-jack being a good thing on a rare bike that could not be replaced, but if there are a lot of them, I would rather insurance just pay for a new one. Now if the bike is highly modded that brings other things in to consideration because, will the insurance company consider your aftermarket parts after the bike is jacked? I would ask your insurance company that question and see if it would make sense to have it re-appraised every so often.
[/FONT]

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
That also brings up a good subject, deterrence. The OP, I'd get some sort of disc locks (1 for each wheel) and some sort of chain w/a lock.

I use a Xena Disc locks w/built-in alarm (110db) & Kryptonite Evolution Disc lock. I also use Kyrptonite Faghedaboutit Chain & Lock. All those in conjunction with the Cycle Shell should make for a good deterrent to any mediocre thief. To a pro thief, they may just walk away from your bike because it would be too much of a pain in the ass for them to cut through all that stuff and they'll move on to a much easier target.

·
Level 7 awesome
34,135 Posts
Plastic Cup Politics said:
Alot of times when a bike or car is stolen... you really don't want it back. I'd just make sure you have theft on it. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hong3103 said:
... is this for your bike listed underneath your avatar. I didn't think Ninja 250's got stolen that often. I's assume that the R bikes are the ones that jacked all the time.

If the Ninja 250 is your bike I'd just go with full coverage insurance. Way cheaper than LoJack. I'd get it for a bike thats more likely to get stolen.

When you plan on upgrading to an "R" bike I'd at the very least get full coverage insurance. It all depends on how much you value your bike. I used the money I earned from Iraq to buy my bike so it's worth something to me even though insurance can get me a new bike if it is stolen and not recovered.

I have LoJack w/ the Early Warning System installed on my bike. Cost almost $1,000. If it is moved w/o the key fob present LoJack sends me a text message, calls, & sends me an email that my bike is moving w/o me present. I'm happy with it, gives me that piece of mind.
LOL, I dont intend to put a lo-jack on my ninja. I am getting a New GsXr600 soon and wanted to know how you all felt. Wow that was a GOOD laugh XD

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I thought it was odd that you'd want to LoJack your Ninja 250. Like I said dude it depends on how much you value your bike and if you plan on keeping that bike for a long time or not. At the least get full coverage... from State Farm.... or which ever is cheaper in NY.

·
28 Posts
id just chain a monkey to my bike. Not just your average monkey, a monkey that can really fuck your shit up in time off need. Probably cheaper than lo jack

·
3,306 Posts
I have a friend that works for a police dept here in az and when i got my first bike he was telling me that 90% of the time when they find the bike it's either already stripped, or wrecked into pieces. Yeah you'll get your bike back, but more than likely it will be a total loss. To me it's just not worth it, I'd rather just know my bike is gone forever instead of having it sit in pieces in my garage. But that's just my opinion on it...

·
Members
5,173 Posts
good things to deter the theft are the best. well lit area, lock around the rims, alarm, motion detecting light on it, etc. Better to stop the theft before it takes place.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
motomummy said:
good things to deter the theft are the best. well lit area, lock around the rims, alarm, motion detecting light on it, etc. Better to stop the theft before it takes place.
+100 to that. I do both. Have locks, chain, & LoJack. I love my bike. No really I do :biggrin. Sometimes my GF feels that she has to compete with the bike.

·
28 Posts
Hong3103 said:
+100 to that. I do both. Have locks, chain, & LoJack. I love my bike. No really I do :biggrin. Sometimes my GF feels that she has to compete with the bike.
haha my gf bitches too. "you spend more time with your bike then you do with me" bitch bitch bitch. i just say "can you imagine if the bike put out more then just horsepower, beauty, and the sweet smell of desire:kiss?" that usually ends the bitching for a day...

·
81 Posts
if you do get lo jack, i would highly suggest getting the one that hong has with the early warning system. cause if you don't have it, by the time you realize it was stolen your bike could be on the other side of the border and lo jack cant do anything about it cause its not on U.S. soil. I'm not sure how it is if it goes into Canada, but if it goes into mexico then your are S.O.L.

·
324 Posts
Dizzle619 said:
if you do get lo jack, i would highly suggest getting the one that hong has with the early warning system. cause if you don't have it, by the time you realize it was stolen your bike could be on the other side of the border and lo jack cant do anything about it cause its not on U.S. soil. I'm not sure how it is if it goes into Canada, but if it goes into mexico then your are S.O.L.
OP is in NY I don't think mexico is the problem...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was discussing Insurance options with the guy at the dealership the other day and he said that the early warning indicator is not available for bikes. "Only on cars" is what I was told. If thats the case I don't know if its even worth it to get the L-J =

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Bomb3rJay said:
I was discussing Insurance options with the guy at the dealership the other day and he said that the early warning indicator is not available for bikes. "Only on cars" is what I was told. If thats the case I don't know if its even worth it to get the L-J =
That's odd. I guess the Early Warning System isn't available everywhere then.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts