350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should Long Island be the 51st State?
Yes650.00%
No650.00%

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First ill start by saying all of you who dont know Long Island its part of NY. That little fish like Island off to the east of NYC.

What are your thoughts about Long Island being a state. Its been all over the news that someone in somepart of the government wants to make Long Island a State! They say it would help out with taxes and what not. First time posting a poll lets see if i can get this to work

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
Plastic Cup Politics said:
It's part of NY, we should leave it at that.
I know, that's the way I always felt, but then I heard a report today on the news. It said that LI pays over 8 billion dollars in taxes a year, but only gets 5 of it back. If we were a state, we'd get it all back, suggesting the cost of living would sharply decrease. I'm all for that!!!

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Kelevra said:
I know, that's the way I always felt, but then I heard a report today on the news. It said that LI pays over 8 billion dollars in taxes a year, but only gets 5 of it back. If we were a state, we'd get it all back, suggesting the cost of living would sharply decrease. I'm all for that!!!
hmmm... well if the benefits are really that great than why not. But we all would know it is really still NY.

·
635 Posts
Come on now, does it really matter if its considered a state or not, besides the tax things we are talking here anyway. Everyone that lives here treats it and talks like its its own place anyway. When people ask you where you live, you dont say ny, you dont say your town, everyone is always like i live on long island. And expect that everyone knows where that is.

On the tax side, if it will help the living situation, then sure, lets make it officially "I live in Long Island"

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jofro6 said:
Come on now, does it really matter if its considered a state or not, besides the tax things we are talking here anyway. Everyone that lives here treats it and talks like its its own place anyway. When people ask you where you live, you dont say ny, you dont say your town, everyone is always like i live on long island. And expect that everyone knows where that is.

On the tax side, if it will help the living situation, then sure, lets make it officially "I live in Long Island"
What are they going to do with queens and brooklyn, they are part of NYC. And damn i dont want brooklyn to be part of my state!!

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
Ssmack5 said:
What are they going to do with queens and brooklyn, they are part of NYC. And damn i dont want brooklyn to be part of my state!!
The five boroughs? Hmmm, that's a good question!?

·
536 Posts
Long Island has a larger population than 13(I think that was the number they used) other states

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
jofro6 said:
I think people here will always say, I live on Long Island, hahahaha.

·
536 Posts
I use to do allot of traveling down south and when people would ask if I was from NY I would tell them No I'm from Long Island, the best reaction was always from strippers. They would usually say something like "Oh that's cool, where's Long Island?" I would really mess them up when I would tell them it's in NY:lmao:rofl

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
my02gsxr1000 said:
I use to do allot of traveling down south and when people would ask if I was from NY I would tell them No I'm from Long Island, the best reaction was always from strippers. They would usually say something like "Oh that's cool, where's Long Island?" I would really mess them up when I would tell them it's in NY:lmao:rofl
Yeah, that's a typical stereotype, no?
When you say you're from NY, everyone automatically assumes it's NYC, not Upstate, not Long Island, hehe, it's just one giant City to many people!

I'm glad I got the $ numbers correct, here is a brief article.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7010466609

Wow, larger pop. then 19 states!

·
536 Posts
In most of the south states they think of it as one big a-hole until you explain your not from the city, then oddly enough they would have a whole different attitude toward you. We had some great times with the peeps down there partying it up after the contest we would go down there for.

·
Zippy's My bitch
18,231 Posts
Kelevra said:
All of that money would then go to state spending, state govt and state programs for LI. Don't think the cost of living would decrease.

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
db79 said:
All of that money would then go to state spending, state govt and state programs for LI. Don't think the cost of living would decrease.
Defeatist!
I'm trying to be positive here!

·
536 Posts
Years ago people who worked in NYC use to move to CT because back then there was no state income tax

1 - 20 of 21 Posts