Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forum looking for some help. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but my weakness is when it comes to electrical issues.

About the bike. I have a 1998 Suzuki GSXR-600 with 34k on it. Been running like a champ but now the main fuse is starting to blow.

I put a fresh one in, starts right up, and when I turn the front wheel left and right (like, trying to maneuver it out of the garage) it blows the fuse.

I know everyone is going to say check all the wires, etc, but if someone else has had this problem, or could help narrow my search, it would be much appreciated.

I'm assuming it could possible be wire problems up front near the headstock or forks, but as far as I can tell, I dont see any frayed wires, or any wires that are not connected.

If it were one of the accessory fuses it would be much easier to narrow down but its the main fuse so I have no idea whats causing it.

Should I check all the grounds on all the wiring throughout the bike? If so does somebody know where I could get a diagram of where all the grounds are located?

Thanks again for any help you guys have to offer.

I love my gixxer and shes never given me a problem in 34k wonderful miles

·
36 Posts
my best guess would be the set of wires coming out of your ignition switch. might have to take that set apart and check them all could be a couple of them with cracked insulation inside the plastic tube that covers the group. or even somehow a couple of them melted down and are touching when you turn the bars. imo id check there first as the main fuse would run that main power wire running into the ignition switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ranger_5_0 said:
my best guess would be the set of wires coming out of your ignition switch. might have to take that set apart and check them all could be a couple of them with cracked insulation inside the plastic tube that covers the group. or even somehow a couple of them melted down and are touching when you turn the bars. imo id check there first as the main fuse would run that main power wire running into the ignition switch.
Ok Ill check that tomorrow and get back to ya. These wires are just for the ignition? or do they also run to everything else electrical upfront like the headlights, turn signals, etc ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
IMO, a ground wire would not throw the fuse. A hot wire will when it grounds out on something. I think Ranger is steering you in the right direction. Take your time and check things out good. In the end,when you figure it out, the self gratification will be rewarding...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brendanp said:
IMO, a ground wire would not throw the fuse. A hot wire will when it grounds out on something. I think Ranger is steering you in the right direction. Take your time and check things out good. In the end,when you figure it out, the self gratification will be rewarding...
Ok I will. Electrical is something I usually never mess with which is why i'm asking so many questions. I appreciate the help and i'll let ya know what i find

·
36 Posts
socialenemy2007 said:
Ok Ill check that tomorrow and get back to ya. These wires are just for the ignition? or do they also run to everything else electrical upfront like the headlights, turn signals, etc ?
it would certainly branch off to your relays and most other stuff after the ignition switch because most of the electronics only work with the key on. anything that works with the key off (ie: 4 way flashers, cooling fan maybe) would split off before the main power wire got to the igntion switch. thats why the main fuse is rated for higher amperage as alot of the circuits branch off of it.

·
993 Posts
Ranger is on the right track there.

The main fuse amp rating you'd think would be the total of all the fuses in the box. Really each fuse is rated to blow below it components limit for amperage use thus preventing damage in the event of a failure. All of the bike components use far less amperage than their fuse rating, and as such the main fuse is a lower number than the fuse total. Also the main power cable can only carry so much amperage before it essentially becomes a heater and melts down.

I know everyone here is smart enough to not put in a larger fuse to solve a blown fuse problem so I won't even mention it..

If you don't already have a multimeter in you tool box I'd suggest buying one as they can be invaluable for future diagnosis, and they are relatively cheap, a quality one can go up to several hundred dollars but are not needed. Just look for one with fused leads, and stay away from the $10-$20 cheapies.

·
7,611 Posts
R4Ltony said:
Ranger is on the right track there.

The main fuse amp rating you'd think would be the total of all the fuses in the box. Really each fuse is rated to blow below it components limit for amperage use thus preventing damage in the event of a failure. All of the bike components use far less amperage than their fuse rating, and as such the main fuse is a lower number than the fuse total. Also the main power cable can only carry so much amperage before it essentially becomes a heater and melts down.

I know everyone here is smart enough to not put in a larger fuse to solve a blown fuse problem so I won't even mention it..

If you don't already have a multimeter in you tool box I'd suggest buying one as they can be invaluable for future diagnosis, and they are relatively cheap, a quality one can go up to several hundred dollars but are not needed. Just look for one with fused leads, and stay away from the $10-$20 cheapies.
ditto, or steal one from your job like i did, Mine even has a temp setting on it. Thank You Navy:yahoo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would you happen to know why my black and white wire on the ignition side smokes as soon as I turn the key to the on position ?? Could it be a bad Ignition?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts