Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Level 7 awesome
Joined
·
32,958 Posts
Everyone's method is different. I think on my 05 I was easy on it for about 200 miles and then rode it hard for 100 miles changed the oil after that and never looked back. 23K miles strong now!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,591 Posts
Ride it like you stole it and change the oil at 100-500-1000 and then more frequent then what the manual recommends.. It really depends on what you want from the bike.
As a point of reference. Most racers will get a bike, ride it "easy" just to bed the pads in for a few laps and then pour the coals to it. And just so you know, their "easy" on the track is 10x harder then how you will ever ride it.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a guy on another forum said i should change my oil now "Cause when new engines are machined there are little metal shavings that are left in the oil pan
the oil lubes the whole engine and transmission
drain the oil, I can GUARANTEE that it will be sparkly"

you guys know anything about this?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,591 Posts
SarahJ said:
a guy on another forum said i should change my oil now "Cause when new engines are machined there are little metal shavings that are left in the oil pan
the oil lubes the whole engine and transmission
drain the oil, I can GUARANTEE that it will be sparkly"

you guys know anything about this?
You will almost always have shavings in the oil.. There is also a magnet on your drain plug that helps to catch those shavings... 100-500-1000 is plenty for changing the oil.. you have to understand that your filter is there to catch those particles as well. If your worried, you can change it at 50-250-500-1000 which allot for a normal street rider.. If it were a track bike, I would give you a different response. I also doubt your bouncing yours off the rev limiter either. I broke my 07-1K in like I stole it and changed the oil in often.. It runs incredible... Just do what makes you comfortable.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,301 Posts
flounder said:
You will almost always have shavings in the oil.. There is also a magnet on your drain plug that helps to catch those shavings... 100-500-1000 is plenty for changing the oil.. you have to understand that your filter is there to catch those particles as well. If your worried, you can change it at 50-250-500-1000 which allot for a normal street rider.. If it were a track bike, I would give you a different response. I also doubt your bouncing yours off the rev limiter either. I broke my 07-1K in like I stole it and changed the oil in often.. It runs incredible... Just do what makes you comfortable.
im with you on that one. And sarah if your really worried, get a scotts oil filter. Its more expensive, but in the long run it will be cheaper. And it actually does a better job filtering the particles. Ride that bitch like you stole it. Only caution i give is towards new tires. especially in cool weather. They are shitty
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,591 Posts
Fukucacheme said:
im with you on that one. And sarah if your really worried, get a scotts oil filter. Its more expensive, but in the long run it will be cheaper. And it actually does a better job filtering the particles. Ride that bitch like you stole it. Only caution i give is towards new tires. especially in cool weather. They are shitty
+1 New stock tires are really slick... I put my bike on stands and actually used some sandpaper to get the shiny coating off of them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,076 Posts
SarahJ said:
a guy on another forum said i should change my oil now "Cause when new engines are machined there are little metal shavings that are left in the oil pan
the oil lubes the whole engine and transmission
drain the oil, I can GUARANTEE that it will be sparkly"

you guys know anything about this?
Don't listen to him... this is what a filter is for.

The oil that is in there now is most likely a "break in" oil that most manufacturers put in new motors... run it for at least 100 miles imo...
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
flounder said:
+1 New stock tires are really slick... I put my bike on stands and actually used some sandpaper to get the shiny coating off of them.
hmmm....thats not a bad idea...

RLover said:
Don't listen to him... this is what a filter is for.

The oil that is in there now is most likely a "break in" oil that most manufacturers put in new motors... run it for at least 100 miles imo...
yeah i was thinking 100 minimum... and i'm sure i'll definitely reach that this weekend seeing as its a 3 day weekend
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,301 Posts
ya i babied mine for 100 miles changed the oil. Then beat it like my red head step child. Then did the appropriate oil changes as per the manual. And im sure you knew about the tire thing, but maybe some squid would come here and read this thread then go out and crash cause i never said anything. And plus i really dont know you or where you are in skill level. Just trying to keep it in the back of your head. And I used those green rough sponges on my tires. i was worried bout the sandpaper.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fukucacheme said:
ya i babied mine for 100 miles changed the oil. Then beat it like my red head step child. Then did the appropriate oil changes as per the manual. And im sure you knew about the tire thing, but maybe some squid would come here and read this thread then go out and crash cause i never said anything. And plus i really dont know you or where you are in skill level. Just trying to keep it in the back of your head. And I used those green rough sponges on my tires. i was worried bout the sandpaper.
yeah i did the "manual" break in with my last bike and it was freakin annoying so one day i just opened it up and get her up to 100...i didn't even know that thing could go 100mph
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,301 Posts
SarahJ said:
yeah i did the "manual" break in with my last bike and it was freakin annoying so one day i just opened it up and get her up to 100...i didn't even know that thing could go 100mph
Nice, but i meant 100 one the odometer, not speedometer. And what kind of bike was that that wont do 100? I see 107 in first. Ya i know im not really doing that, but thats what it says.

08 kawi 250:rofl
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top