Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Ohlins steering damper from Motomummy yesterday and installed it on my k7 1000.

I think I have installed it correctly, but I would like to hear from you guys to put my mind at ease as I know a lot of you guys have this damper.

I used the spacer provided to sit on top of the stock mounting point then put the damper on top of that and then the bolt through the lot and tightened it.
The mounting area for the bracket that grips the cartridge, I had to use the stock bolt as the bolt supplied in the kit seemed to long.
I have just stuffed the electrics from the stock damper in the fairiing.
Anyway it seems to work, does this sound right to you guys.

I also have to install an Ohlins damper on my wife's 750 today and want to make sure mine is correct before I do hers.
I am heading out to the track on Saturday and do not want to be thinking about if my damper is on correctly.

Thanks, Rob.

·
584 Posts
I snapped some pics of my 750 with an Ohlins I just put on. The front end is off so it is easy to see. I have the two factory grommets on order but have two subs in there right now. One on top and one on bottom of the damper so it can move freely on the pivot. The middle pic is where it attaches the the triple.

Attachments

·
584 Posts
Here is the best I could get of an Ohlins on the 1000. It sounds like your description was right if the bike was upside down! The supplied grommet goes underneath the tab on the steering head then the damper, then the other spacer, then the bolt. Hope that helps. One pic of what is described above and another of the arm attached to the triple.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pics and the help.
I think I am more confused now. With my damper all I received was two bolts and a metal spacer.
I used the spacer on the bolt where the damper arm connects to the lower tripple clamp on the fork leg.
As for the steering head where the clamp that wraps around the damper cartridge, all I used was a rubber grommet each side that was already there with the stock damper.
Do I have the metal spacer in the wrong location?

Thanks, Rob.

·
Members
5,173 Posts
the metal spacer can work in either location, but if you put it on the part where it touched the fork leg then you just need to make sure there was enough of the bolt left to really secure the nut onto it. Then you're good. If you put it in the location between the bike and the damper then the bolts can screw in a little further.

Putting it where you did will work just fine as long as you're sure there was enough of the bolt left to put the nut on it and really have the nut grip the bolt. Hope this helps.

The spacer and two bolts are all you need to mount it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
motomummy said:
the metal spacer can work in either location, but if you put it on the part where it touched the fork leg then you just need to make sure there was enough of the bolt left to really secure the nut onto it. Then you're good. If you put it in the location between the bike and the damper then the bolts can screw in a little further.

Putting it where you did will work just fine as long as you're sure there was enough of the bolt left to put the nut on it and really have the nut grip the bolt. Hope this helps.

The spacer and two bolts are all you need to mount it.
Thanks,
The reason I even put the spacer there was because it looked like too much thread showing after the nut without the spacer.
Then because I used the spacer already the other Ohlins supplied bolt was too long for the tab on the steering head so I used the oem bolt there.
Thanks again for the help speedwasinvolved and motomummy, now off to the track Saturday and see how she goes!

Rob.

·
Members
5,173 Posts
as long as the nuts are on far enough you'll be fine regardless if the spacer is in either spot
most important thing is not having a nut back off so some locktite would be handy also.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
motomummy said:
as long as the nuts are on far enough you'll be fine regardless if the spacer is in either spot
most important thing is not having a nut back off so some locktite would be handy also.
Yeah I always use locktite on these kind of things.

Took the bike out to the track today and was really surprised at how much better the bike felt with the new damper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts