Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner

personal opinion 520 conversion

4K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  Cozmo 
#1 ·
well was just curious if any one has ever had a 520 conversion ( chain ) break......i am looking to get one of these but, not to sure about it, so i was thinking maybe some of you guys can enlighten me on this subject

can it hold the the power ( 190 + hp )

#9 ·
onepusher said:
You will be fine with a 520 conversion. I have a DID chain with vortex rear sproket and no problems. Look at Finally got my white k8 post.
yes but, you have yet to twist the throttle with the 190 hp...thats what i'm thinking about doing from carpenter race engines..let us know when you twist the throttle.....
by the way nice bike too.....:biggrin

#11 ·
over 200rwhp then go with 530. The sidewinder sprocket is the same as a stealth, 100% the same thing and made by www.supersprox.com. The erv3 is fine for a 600/750, but for a 1000cc bike i would do an ek mvxz or rk gxw chain as they are much stronger then the erv3. In fact DID doesn't even recommend their chain for a 1000cc bike where ek and rk do.

520 kits are fine unless you stunt a lot or are coming up on 200rwhp then I would stick with 530. EK mvxz is what we use our on two 1000cc bikes because it's the strongest 520 chain on the market. never had a problem. driven sprockets and the ek mvxz.

#12 ·
motomummy said:
520 kits are fine unless you stunt a lot or are coming up on 200rwhp then I would stick with 530. EK mvxz is what we use our on two 1000cc bikes because it's the strongest 520 chain on the market. never had a problem. driven sprockets and the ek mvxz.
Then my bone-stock K6 should be okay? She has well over 20k+ miles on the original chain and sprockets (religious about cleaning, lubing and adjustments). Thinking of ordering a gold 520 chain and Renthals f/r, with a 16t front tooth size. 80% street use, 20% trackdays.

How's that sound?

#13 ·
yes you would be fine. Just make sure you get hard anodized sprockets and renthals are hard anodized along with everything we sell. I won't even sell a sprocket if it's not hard anodized. As for the chain just make sure you get an rk gxw or ek mvxz would be my opinion. Two of the best chains on the market for the 1000cc guys. We won't sell the cheaper chains as those are what save you a little up front but if you have a problem you'll be paying dearly down the line. Those two chains are the best by those manufacturers and are plenty strong.

A lot of info about chain kits can be found here as well.

http://www.gixxer-forum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70

#14 ·
I've been running the same DID/AFAM 520 kit for two years now and it's just now starting to stretch!!!! I don't push over 165 at the rear wheel so I feel really safe with it. Only reason I'm going to a new chain and sprockets is to go up a couple in the rear!!

#15 ·
well if i do head and cams puts me at about 190 rwhp...maybe give or take a few.....

would you do it, 520 conversion that is

i not sure which way i am gonna go ( as if i might not do the head & cams ) just thought i'd get some insight....
thanks guys
not sure if i wanna drop another $ 3,500 dollars

#23 ·
yup, 520 kits have become very very strong in the last year or two. stunters/wheelie guys and around 200rwhp are guys who should stick with a 530. For a 600/750cc bike there is no reason at all to not go to a 520.

More then the pitch though is the maitenance. My 520 kits have outlasted MANY guys with a 530 setup even though all the miles are very hard and not cruising around ever. Taking care of the set up matters more then if it's a 520 or 530 pitch chain kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.