Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner

R1 Throttle Modification..

4K views 86 replies 38 participants last post by  Captain Squid 
#1 ·
Got mine today from a local shop, $13 bucks and according to buds, well worth it. Basically it enables you to twist less for more gas, as the stocker GSXR 750 throttle tube is a long throw slowing down your accel. The part number is: 4YR-26240-02 for all of you that are interested in this low cost mod/easy install.

#4 ·
KWComp said:
Good Plan Cap..... a couple Yami parts on that bike of yours could only make it go faster.
I don't want to slow my mighty 750 down so i'll pass.........just wanting to know how the install goes......for.......uh.......reference sake. Yeah that's it. For reference when someone asks, I can point them here :biggrin

#6 ·
i have it done on my 06 and it makes a nice differnce. its not drastic, more of a feel that it should have come that way stock. it took al of mayby 15 min to do, swaped out to some gel grips at the same time. only thing i will warn you about.. i have a 1000 with a -1 fr sprocket... untill you get used to it... dont whack open 1st or second gear...there is ZERO lag when you hit it now..not that there really was any lag.. but now you dont have to repostion you hand to get wot.. its there as soon as you move your wrist..

#11 ·
Evol-E said:
I have been thinking bout this one for a while. Anyone want to post up a how-to?
couldnt be easier!!!... losen the screws on your throttle cable support clip. remove your bar end.. take screws off switch assy... remove stock cables from stock barrel.. instal cables on new barrel, reinstall switch, cable bracket, and bar end.. adjust free play...done.. only extra step would be if you want to replace grips at the same time.. the yami tube comes with a new grip so you will have differnt one on each side if you leave it .
not to mention ..cant beat it for 13.00....

#13 ·
Kelevra said:
Got mine today from a local shop, $13 bucks and according to buds, well worth it. Basically it enables you to twist less for more gas, as the stocker GSXR 750 throttle tube is a long throw slowing down your accel. The part number is: 4YR-26240-02 for all of you that are interested in this low cost mod/easy install.
I did mine about 30k miles ago.

#15 ·
NOS-Nelson said:
I did mine about 30k miles ago.
hehehe, good on ya!
I've always been a Honda guy up til now, so this was never needed. Didja think the R1 mod was enough, or did you make for even a shorter twist? I think with the -1 front sprocket mod I just installed this should be a bike changing experience..

#16 ·
Kelevra said:
hehehe, good on ya!
I've always been a Honda guy up til now, so this was never needed. Didja think the R1 mod was enough, or did you make for even a shorter twist? I think with the -1 front sprocket mod I just installed this should be a bike changing experience..
Jordan i'm running +4 so I can't tell you when the last time I went wide open. But yes it's a noticeable difference as the stock one is next to impossible to WOT without changing hand position.

#17 ·
yep i did it to my 03 1k and im -1/+1 and yea the first 3 gears are wheelie fest's.

you want a 04 or newer R1 throttle. i know the 04 for sure, but im pretty sure the 04-07 are all identical. yea mine cost 14 bucks, and i also put on some gel grips at the same time.

#18 ·
Godzuki said:
yep i did it to my 03 1k and im -1/+1 and yea the first 3 gears are wheelie fest's.

you want a 04 or newer R1 throttle. i know the 04 for sure, but im pretty sure the 04-07 are all identical. yea mine cost 14 bucks, and i also put on some gel grips at the same time.
I need some thicker gel grips as well, the stockers are too small (I wear 3XL gloves, lollz). I'll post up pix or vid of the install for those of you looking to DIY.

#19 ·
Godzuki said:

i have built custom quick turn throttles for both my 2002 and my 2004 r1's and im almost 100% positive that both tubes were identical...I know my 04 still has the same switches and shit that my 99 r1 had:fact

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.