Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friend just bought some Marchesini's for his 07 R6 and I was looking at his stock rims. Dam are the much better looking than the 3 spoke gixxer wheels.

So I am wondering if anyone knows what it would take to put R6 wheels on a K5 1000?

How would one go about researching this?

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Evol-E said:
So my friend just bought some Marchesini's for his 07 R6 and I was looking at his stock rims. Dam are the much better looking than the 3 spoke gixxer wheels.

So I am wondering if anyone knows what it would take to put R6 wheels on a K5 1000?

How would one go about researching this?
you would have to measure the distance between the swingarm and forks. You would have to measure both front and rear axles of both bikes to see if they are the same. You might need to use different spacers in the rear wheel. You will need to make sure the front and rear sprockets are aligned properly.

It might be easier and cheaper to buy a used set of aftermarket wheels unless you are into fabbing up different things.

·
428 Posts
slideways is on the right track, But I think it's not going to matter much on fork and swingarm spacing the r6 cant have wider wheels then your 1000. All new sport bikes come with a 17x3.5 front and either a 17x5.5 or 6" rear wheel. So the wheel will fit in your swingarm and your forks.

Another aspect you might want to take into consideration is the sprocket offset on the wheel. I highly doubt that Suzuki and Yamaha have the same offset. You will have to make some spacers to adjust the rear sprocket to line up with the front sprocket,(if they are differnt) not to mention all the wheel spacers and misc shit. I could go more indepth but Im the type of guy that needs it infront of me. Good Luck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I think I just need to pull it apart and just try it. Just thought someone might have already tried it or might have a little more info.

Thanks for the input.

slidewayz said:
It might be easier and cheaper to buy a used set of aftermarket wheels unless you are into fabbing up different things.
I doubt cheaper as I could "barrow" these wheels and that is a lot cheaper than buying aftermarket. Oh and I do like fabbing up things to be different.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
KosmanGixxer6 said:
slideways is on the right track, But I think it's not going to matter much on fork and swingarm spacing the r6 cant have wider wheels then your 1000. All new sport bikes come with a 17x3.5 front and either a 17x5.5 or 6" rear wheel. So the wheel will fit in your swingarm and your forks.

Another aspect you might want to take into consideration is the sprocket offset on the wheel. I highly doubt that Suzuki and Yamaha have the same offset. You will have to make some spacers to adjust the rear sprocket to line up with the front sprocket,(if they are differnt) not to mention all the wheel spacers and misc shit. I could go more indepth but Im the type of guy that needs it infront of me. Good Luck!
The R6 rear wheel is a 5.5" compared to the GSXR 1000 rear being a 6".

The reason I stated measuring is that the wheels might be different sizes at the bearing points. Spacers will need to be fabbed up to make this work properly. I dont think that the R6 spacers will work with the GSXR wheel and vice versa. Axle diameters may be different as well which throws in a mounting problem on both front and rear. The R6 front wheel might be narrower than the GSXR front wheel so that would pose a mounting problem as well.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
not gonna work without major modifications to both the bike and the wheels, so don't even waste your time. the s/a is too wide, the rear rim is too narrow, the front rim has different bolt patterns for the brake rotors, etc...

do you really want to risk "fabbing up" the only connection between you and the road?

save your pennies and buy aftermarket wheels that are designed for the bike you are riding.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
anthony said:
not gonna work without major modifications to both the bike and the wheels, so don't even waste your time. the s/a is too wide, the rear rim is too narrow, the front rim has different bolt patterns for the brake rotors, etc...

do you really want to risk "fabbing up" the only connection between you and the road?

save your pennies and buy aftermarket wheels that are designed for the bike you are riding.
Well put

·
428 Posts
slidewayz said:
The R6 rear wheel is a 5.5" compared to the GSXR 1000 rear being a 6".

The reason I stated measuring is that the wheels might be different sizes at the bearing points. Spacers will need to be fabbed up to make this work properly. I dont think that the R6 spacers will work with the GSXR wheel and vice versa. Axle diameters may be different as well which throws in a mounting problem on both front and rear. The R6 front wheel might be narrower than the GSXR front wheel so that would pose a mounting problem as well.
+ what he said

anthony said:

and him

·
Level 7 awesome
34,135 Posts
anthony said:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts