Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just looking for comments on the most likely cause. A few times at the track on my K6 1000, I noticed the rear wheel spinning instead of the front lifting.

The other day on my K8 I had a few occasions where the rear wheel would spin before the front came up. I prefer the front lifting, as you can do more to control things when you have traction, and you are not wearing out the rubber so much if the tyre bites. (It is also more fun)

I am thinking, tyre pressure too high ? (I found it was 42 cold after the service, and I normally run the rear at about 37 - 38 lbs.). Any other thoughts or experiences ?

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
Yeah I would try bringing the pressure down, 42 is high. Do you have any bridgestone dealers that are out at the trackdays? They will be able to tell you the exact pressure to run

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had advice in the past, to aim for close to 40 when hot, so mid 30's should be reaonable when cold, for most situations, allowing the tyre to warm up, and reach the right pressure. I know that the mechanic set it to 42 because the book says 42 cold.

I will try it next ride, with lower pressure. Thanks.

·
Site Sponsor
1,445 Posts
Ya 42 is excessive. A couple of things happen when you run high pressures:

1 The tires really cant ever come up to proper operating temp so traction is at a minimum. Tire heat comes from carcass flex, at 42 it cant flex to generate heat.

2 The carcass cant flex and the footprint of your tire becomes smaller.

Try running around 36 and see if it works out better.

·
905 Posts
The local Racetech distributor here, with a good name for setting bikes up suggests 34fr 36 rr for a 600 and 36fr 38rr for a 1000 as a starting point for the street. Helps the suspension setup as well as traction.

·
BLK CBR
925 Posts
just pull on the bars it wont spin then, lol i run 36 on the street and only get wheelspin when i encourage it occaisionally......and the stock 015's are puss....

·
Level 7 awesome
34,135 Posts
TrackStar1 said:
Ya 42 is excessive. A couple of things happen when you run high pressures:

1 The tires really cant ever come up to proper operating temp so traction is at a minimum. Tire heat comes from carcass flex, at 42 it cant flex to generate heat.

2 The carcass cant flex and the footprint of your tire becomes smaller.

Try running around 36 and see if it works out better.

·
meh..buh
845 Posts
I'd put a little more blame in the BT's. The K8 chassis layout is designed to encourage less front end lift (ergo, more spin because that excess force has to go somewhere). I always found the BT's to resist gripping (but hey, that's just me).

I agree with bringing the pressure down. You'll get a little more footprint and that could be enough to solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I usually run 36 in the rear on the street and 28-30(cold) on the track. I currently have BT012's on the bike. These pressures were suggested by the Dunlop reps at the last track day I attended. No wheel spin and corner traction feels great.

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
It seems like most are running high 20's to low 30's on the track, depending of course on which tire you're running, and outside temps, skill level, etc.

·
Registered
322 Posts
dunlop quilfier
fr=32
rr=34
love the feel
brickstones suck........get rid of them.....ebay has killer deals on tires
269.99 shipped for front and rear dunlops 120/190 combo....wow

1 - 20 of 49 Posts