Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A conversation with a customer got me thinking about this. I've run both styles without failures. I used to only run rivet style chains because I felt they were failproof to a point. I always thought clip styles would fail.

I snapped a chain at a race and the only thing available to me was a clip style. I put it on then used a little RTV on the clip to help secure it. I ran that chain the entire season including a 4 hour endurance and a 3 hour endurance. Probably 9 trackdays, 7 practice days and about 28 sprint races.

Since then I've used nothing but clip style chains.

Discuss your experiences...

·
211 Posts
So whats the big insecurity about the clip style? i see that you obviously had success with the clip style? does it just make it easier for me to install my own chain without having to cut the chain or re-rivet? sorry for the noob question i never replaced a chain so if i could do it my self i would like to... save money

·
Site Sponsor
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know, actually the PM from you is what got me thinking about this.

It's not a noob question really, I know guys who have been racing for years who still wonder. Thats why i put it up here.

To be honest I have never seen either style of chain fail at the masterlink. A little RTV will seriously secure a clip link and there should be no issues.

Clip stlyes make it easier to do your own chain but a good chain tool is still a good purchase. You generally need to take a few links out of a new chain to get it where you want it. It also helps you press the master together. I bought the RK tool and most anyone who has used one will tell you it's money well spent.

·
Premium Member
9,935 Posts
I at the speeds these bike travel from time to time I personally feel much safer with a riveted chain. They also come from the factory that was as well, if there was not a risk to the clip on master link I would assume the factory would use them as well. Seeing that they don't, I will stick with what I feel most confident with.... > Rivited!

·
1,560 Posts
RLover said:
I at the speeds these bike travel from time to time I personally feel much safer with a riveted chain. They also come from the factory that was as well, if there was not a risk to the clip on master link I would assume the factory would use them as well. Seeing that they don't, I will stick with what I feel most confident with.... > Rivited!
+1...its just more peace of mind

·
Members
5,173 Posts
Many run clip chains without issues, but I've also seen one come off that was perfectly installed. It's rare, but not worth the risk in my opinion. I won't install anything but rivet on my bike just to eliminate the rare chance the clip link comes off. Since that's all I will run on my bike that's all we will sell as well.

The only people normally that want clip links are those who don't know how to rivet a chain on or have a situation like you mentioned. IMO if you can't rivet a chain you shouldn't be installing it. The problem with clip links mostly is people installing them wrong, but even if they do imo they don't deserve to go down or have the chain destroy their bike or them. IMO better to be safe...

·
211 Posts
Whats rough price for chain and sprocket install? estimate from private shops? or could i do the sprocket install and just have the shorten the chain for me

·
Members
5,173 Posts
you could do the sprockets, but if they shorten the chain they will have to rivet it on for you most likely. How would you get the bike there also unless you have a trailor?

Most would charge about 100 to install it or you can get the rk chain breaker rivet kit and install it yourself. A breaker/rivet kit is something every bike owner should own if they do their own work on their bike. Many then loan them out to friends and make the cost back in a year or two.

·
315 Posts
I too agree with using a rivet link. I don't have a rivet tool and will be using a clip link just so i can ride to a place to get the rivet link riveted correctly.

·
211 Posts
how much do you sell the RK rivet tool for moto?

Was also seeing if anyone new where i could find a tutorial about tackling a chain/sprocket replacement for a 2002 GSXR-600. looking to do all my own work and that would be great.

·
Members
5,173 Posts
90 shipped, but if you buy it with a chain kit you get it cheaper. It's an option when you buy a chain kit to add that. IMO it's not a hard mod to do and the tool is very handy as long as you own a motorcycle.

·
Site Sponsor
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Corey, heres a horror story for ya...

Our race rules require either a riveted master or a clip master. if your running a clip master it must either be RTV'ed or safety wired.

So I get a guy through tech with a clip master without any wire or RTV so I fail him and tell him to go wire it. He comes back with the clip off of it and safety wire figure eighted around the Master Link pins. I fail him again and he tells me this other guy in the paddock ran his like that. I go find the bike and this guy had been running safety wire as a clip almost the entire season.

Scarey shit.

Seriously though this is good discussion. I wasnt trying to say my way was right or wrong. Just looking for other peoples experiences with both options. I've run both ways with no problems but everyone has there prefrences.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The problem is most people will run the clip type without RTV or wired as you stated. First bike I bought, I didnt know any better and used the clip type. One day as I was cleaning the bike...to my surprise the clip was not there at all. Since then all I use are the rivet type. Peace of mind is priceless...a chain failure at any speed and you're looking at a wreck. Not to mention the damage a flailing chain can cause to the bike or yourself.

·
Site Sponsor
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True. I guess it's like about anything else, installation error can wreak havok on the best designed system. I cringe when I see guys bleeding their brakes the wrong way, I seriously get worried just watching some people put a wheel on and look around with a blank stare because they dont remember what side the spacers go on...

I have HUGE respect for people who do their own work, I have even more respect for people who ask for advice or help before they dig into it. Sometimes we need to put our testicles away for a minute and ask for advice. I do it all the time and learn something new.

·
Members
5,173 Posts
Better to be safe then sorry...rivet only for me. Yes i've heard people installing them wrong, a few just failing, but not many, but it's hard to find a story of a rivet link failing. IMO the drivetrain, safety gear, tires, rims, and brakes are not areas to go cheap on or take any risk. I'll play it safe in every way in those area's.

·
Site Sponsor
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. This helps me in both my personal equipment decisions as well as what products to stock. I'm just a dumb racer and sometimes we get tunnel vision on "whats best" and how to do things. I appreciate your opinions and reasoning behind them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Use the clip without the clip. Use saftey wire instead. Faster for changing your chain between races. That's a trick Scott Jensen showed me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts