Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Site Supporter
104 Posts
The short answer is yes! I wire these types of things up at my job and if someone wants your bike bad enough they'll have it. PERIOD! I'd check with your insurance company to see if you get a discount on theft coverage if you install it though.

If you ask me alarms on motorcycles are really counter-intuitive anyway, especially those with a starter disable feature. All you have to do is find the relay or wires responsible for the feature and it's almost like having a key.

·
Members
5,173 Posts
yup, best to just have insurance and if you do want an alarm i would get a cheapy. I had a scorpio and started having problems with it on our r1. stuff just starting getting fickle as ever. Going off when NOBODY was around the bike, batteries died in the damn keychain part all the time, wouldn't alarm or disarm at times. Worked fine for about 6 mo then started having issues to the point i threw it away. Insurance is the best or motion activated lighting if you park it outside, chain through the tire, etc...These will stop your everyday thieves, but if someone wants it...and they are good...they will have it.

·
7,611 Posts
motomummy said:
yup, best to just have insurance and if you do want an alarm i would get a cheapy. I had a scorpio and started having problems with it on our r1. stuff just starting getting fickle as ever. Going off when NOBODY was around the bike, batteries died in the damn keychain part all the time, wouldn't alarm or disarm at times. Worked fine for about 6 mo then started having issues to the point i threw it away. Insurance is the best or motion activated lighting if you park it outside, chain through the tire, etc...These will stop your everyday thieves, but if someone wants it...and they are good...they will have it.
corey, im good, and i want your show bike. count it good as gone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My personal experience with the scorpio alarm is nothing but good. Never had a problem with any component. Gets pretty good range with the pager and the perimeter feature has definitely kept some people from casually fucking with the bike. As far as using it
in place of theft coverage. Don't. Alarms are theft deterants only, as most people will tell you, a determined thief can take any bike. Your best bet is to use layers of security. Alarms, disc locks, cables, etc.... If you make it tough enough for them, they will often move on to easier targets. In the end, theft coverage is your best safety net.

·
Registered
26 Posts
AceHigh said:
My personal experience with the scorpio alarm is nothing but good. Never had a problem with any component. Gets pretty good range with the pager and the perimeter feature has definitely kept some people from casually fucking with the bike. As far as using it
in place of theft coverage. Don't. Alarms are theft deterants only, as most people will tell you, a determined thief can take any bike. Your best bet is to use layers of security. Alarms, disc locks, cables, etc.... If you make it tough enough for them, they will often move on to easier targets. In the end, theft coverage is your best safety net.
My scorpio saved my bike once over at the GF's house. Started to roll it and the tilt sensor went off. Lucky the guy dropped the bike on the kickstand. Never did see anyone but the bike was sitting in the next parking spot with the cover laying on the ground.

Get all the insurance you can buy and the alarm for the "honest" crooks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.