1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
2,452 Posts
yeah i seen that on the other site....

thats crazy... i hope to never run into a pole or something greater

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
same here, all my hjc's were well under $500 and have protected me plenty in my crashes. just because you are paying less for a helmet doesn't mean it won't protect you less.

in case you don't believe me, do a search for a test called "blowing the lid off" and read the results there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
anthony said:
same here, all my hjc's were well under $500 and have protected me plenty in my crashes. just because you are paying less for a helmet doesn't mean it won't protect you less.

i see it this way, for that much it better be suckin my dick:biggrin

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
I just bought mine because it was what I wanted, not because I thought it would do a better job than another option... even though of course I bought a helmet that is high rated

·
115 Posts
I can and HAVE several times...Especially when i pay 300 for a 500 helmet!!!
And now with technology getting even better, you can buy the same kind of quality for 200!

·
2,452 Posts
As long as i see snell and dot on the back im ok...

my next thought is the features on it and how well is the paint

·
28 Posts
yep i can but its your head, do what you want. you only get one chance with that guy... i'll gladly pay the extra 200 bucks to not be drinking from a straw drooling on my self.

·
905 Posts
I wear my helmet everyday for at least an hour, up to 6 hours in a day occasionally, so im happy to pay more for something that is more comfortable, breathes better, is easier to change visors, etc.

I try to buy when theyre discounted though.

·
1,691 Posts
outofmydepth said:
I wear my helmet everyday for at least an hour, up to 6 hours in a day occasionally, so im happy to pay more for something that is more comfortable, breathes better, is easier to change visors, etc.

I try to buy when theyre discounted though.
Same here (well not the 6 hour thing but the happy paying more thing). On long rides you feel a big difference between the cheap helmets and the nice helmets.

·
28 Posts
aaronass said:
you can buy a 200 dollar helmet that weighs less than that 500 dollar helmet......
hahaha yes you can. If you cut out a water melon and put it on your head i bet that weighs less too!
Comfort isn't just about weight. The cut around the neck and the padding system are also huge factors.

I had a buddy who bought a z10 (I think thats the helmet brand) right before we went to the gap. Lightest helmet he could find that was DOT approved... about $200. Wore it for 8 hours a day for a week. He couldn't even sleep after that his neck hurt so bad. Ended up going to the chiropractor and throwing that piece of shit out and then buying the Hayden Laguna Arai. And guess what? His neck doesn't hurt anymore and it weighs a few ounces more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The bottom line about helmets is this: As long as they have THE SAME SNELL or DOT safety rating the only difference is in fit and finish. The extra couple hundred bucks is paying for better quality materials of comfort liners and cheek pads, and the graphics primarily. To some degree the extra cost also goes into the amount of R&D the company has devoted to safety testing their helmets. The other marginal bits that contribute to the increased cost is comfort and ventilation. You can agree or disagree but I can tell you that I own helmets ranging in price from $200 - $700 and the cheaper helmets are murder in the summer because they don't vent for sh!t. Even my Suomy Vandal sucks balls when compared to my Arai RX-7 Corsair in the ventilation department.

My question is this: If a helmet is a helmet (given the same SNELL or DOT rating), then why do so many people sh!t kittens over wearing a textile or mesh jacket that has the same safety rating as a leather jacket? The only difference between tex/mesh/cordura and leather is that leather can withstand repeated crashes whereas the tex/mesh/cordura jackets are designed as a one time use garment. Just some food for thought.

It all is up to the consumer and what he or she wants to pay for a helmet, jacket or whatever. If there's a helmet that has the graphic I like, is comfy, vents like a swiss cheese body suit, meets or exceeds the required safety standards, and is less expensive, I'm there!

·
3,306 Posts
my first helmet was a CKX and it cost me $100. It was cumfy, but it even FELT cheap and I was sketchy about it actually working or not even though it was DOT approved. Then I got into an accident and even though the helmet didn't even touch the ground, I wanted a new one. So then I bought a Suomy Araldic Replica that cost me $550 and just the feel of it was a huge difference. I'm actually confident in this helmet.

·
115 Posts
With the evolution of helmet technology, sometimes less is more or at least equal to more expensive helmets.
I have ALWAYS worn arai! It has been the only helmet on my head since the 70's (yes...I'm OLD!) So i really have nothing to compare it to!
Recently i bought my brother an HJC. Snell/DOT rating, racer boy graphics, quick release shield, removable/washable liner. 100.00. ONE HUNDRED BUCKS BRAND NEW DELIVERED!
Now say what you want but how can anyone say NO to that? Say HELLO to a GOOD BUY!!!
Is it ARAI quality, perhaps not? Do i believe it will protect his noggen as well as most any other helmets? ABSOLUTELY! Would i buy one? (I did, couldnt say no AGAIN!)
So...It's not a matter of "whats your life worth" any more!
Technology and the competition have come along way recently.
Am i still an ARAI guy? Yes! Will i look at other helmets if/when the need arises? YES!

·
2,452 Posts
i just want a shoei or arai now cause its the thing to have and i want the extra features... plus i like how they look. the only only ones id get would be an icon but they chip easy... (i have one now)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's a $100 dollar KBC lid that saved my girlfriend from sure death. She was run over and dragged underneath a limo for 50' and survived.
While her head was spared massive injury the rest of her was crushed by the car. She has survived and is almost back to 100% in 6 months time.

Proper gear saves lives without a doubt!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts