Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the suzuki world after owning two yamahas, but what is the metal rod in the owners manual package and what is the one under the cowl/backseat that looks like a crank on the right side and has an s bend in it, 2008 gsxr 1000, thanks, i searched it and found jack sh*t

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
there should be 2 rods under there, a really long dark one (gas tank prop) and a shorter aluminum one (shift rod for running gp shift). hope that helps.

·
1,691 Posts
Somebody say rod?!?!?

Just kidding. Yep, it's the tank prop, and you'll have lost it by the first time you need it. Mine was always such a pain in the but to get back into it's little plastic tab holders, then one day *poof* its not there anymore.

·
2,452 Posts
i still got mines.... i still have my tools also....

i use them all the time... the rob only like 3 times though

·
1,691 Posts
I LOVE my little trunk tool kit. I've used it more than once on my bike and others' bikes. It's invaluable in my opinion.

·
2,452 Posts
im the only person who has one out of all my friends (the whole oakland ruff ryder chapter)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im running gp shift right now, all i did was flip the shift thing over, i should have swapped the linkage?, i usually prop the tank up with something around the house, but thats cool

·
Registered
54 Posts
jasunto said:
im running gp shift right now, all i did was flip the shift thing over, i should have swapped the linkage?, i usually prop the tank up with something around the house, but thats cool
I'm guessing you probably had to almost completely unthread the linkage on both ends to get the stock rod to work with the GP shift setup? Either that or they already had the longer of the two rods installed on the bike from the jump? I didn't change mine over to GP shift until I put on my Vortex rearsets, and they came with 3 different length rods so I swapped it out then.

·
81 Posts
jasunto said:
. Thats how i did my GP shift on my k7 1000. Did it 12,000 miles ago and its still working great. The only rod I had under the passenger seat was for the tank.

·
2,452 Posts
^ me too

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah the shifter is at a perfect height, I will never go back to normal shifting, I will compare them when I get home

·
Level 7 awesome
34,135 Posts
Fukucacheme said:
so what exactly is the point of doing this? Does it change the shifting to 1 up and five down cause if thats the case i might do that.
Yup

·
Members
5,173 Posts
pushing down with your foot is much more natural then pulling up. When upshifting (hauling ass) it's much easier to push down then to pull up. When downshifting normally you're slowing, not as aggressive, in more of an upright position, etc...so it's easier to do gp shifting. Also when you're deep in a corner it can be hard to upshift at times if you have to reach your foot under the shifter. Once you do gp shifting you'll never go back...give it a good week or two and see what you think. Give it a good chance and i bet you'll love it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts