Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys, im looking for a place in the area to set up the suspension on mine and a few other bikes. Any one have any suggestions as to where to get this accomplished? I ride street mostly, but have been know to hit the track from time to time. Twisties are my cup of tea, but can't seam to get the last bit of rubber off my michilan mans head. he has haunted me on this bike. I had no problem accomplishing this with my 750, but my liter i bought brand new and think i have to work on the suspension a bit.

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
Fukucacheme said:
Sup guys, im looking for a place in the area to set up the suspension on mine and a few other bikes. Any one have any suggestions as to where to get this accomplished? I ride street mostly, but have been know to hit the track from time to time. Twisties are my cup of tea, but can't seam to get the last bit of rubber off my michilan mans head. he has haunted me on this bike. I had no problem accomplishing this with my 750, but my liter i bought brand new and think i have to work on the suspension a bit.
When you say the last bit of rubber, are you talking about the outer edge of the rear tire? If so, you know the 1000's tires are 10mm wider, si?

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
Fukucacheme said:
yes Jordan I know. But it still drives me nuts.
GMD is very good, but not cheap. I'd avoid spending the loot for the procedure where they measure your frame, and tweak it, if necessary, to perfection. This is a mod people get sucked into there, but only really benefits on the race track, if at all...
Also, they will try to talk you into getting a Penske shock for like 1200 and redoing the front, so you're looking at $2g's, lollz.
I'd get the sag set up nice, and the rear rebound seems to be the most frequent issue I read about.. What do you want done, specifically Jeremy?

·
536 Posts
You can can definitly scrub the entire tire I do it on my 02' it will just happen just keep riding.

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do scuff it, but i want it all the way. I know its the suspension set up. i think its a lil stiff.

My buddy has the k6 1k and he has a bad skip in the rear when cornering. he's the real reason, but i too would like a lil tweeking done

·
536 Posts
Suspension was the best money I ever spent, I have Penske internals in the forks and a Penske double clicker in the rear. It became a new bike after the upgrade. I could of went with a full system and a PC but I decide the suspension would give me bigger pay backs. The 02' rear shock is nothing more than a spring on stick. The adjustments didn't do anything worth while.

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kelevra said:
GMD is very good, but not cheap. I'd avoid spending the loot for the procedure where they measure your frame, and tweak it, if necessary, to perfection. This is a mod people get sucked into there, but only really benefits on the race track, if at all...
Also, they will try to talk you into getting a Penske shock for like 1200 and redoing the front, so you're looking at $2g's, lollz.
I'd get the sag set up nice, and the rear rebound seems to be the most frequent issue I read about.. What do you want done, specifically Jeremy?
so with out having to buy new parts, how can i get the suspension set up

·
Zippy's My bitch
18,231 Posts
Fukucacheme said:
i might be interested too if we can get a group rate or something
or I have to get my lazy brother to put his MMI degree to use and make him do it

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya Ant, i agree with ya saying hes fairly new, but i rode his bike, and it has a bad bounce in the ass. I had em put a apair of PP's on it and it made it better, but didnt completly remedy the issue. Any suggestions?
As for me, I want just to get it set for for me rather than for the factory if you know what i mean.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
setting up your own suspension is very easy, it is just time consuming.

you will need 2 of your friends to help you, and you will need a basic understanding of what each adjustment does and how it will affect the way the bike rides, plus some misc. tools, and that is about it.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0402_susp/index.html

Fukucacheme said:
ya Ant, i agree with ya saying hes fairly new, but i rode his bike, and it has a bad bounce in the ass. I had em put a apair of PP's on it and it made it better, but didnt completly remedy the issue. Any suggestions?
As for me, I want just to get it set for for me rather than for the factory if you know what i mean.
bouncing can come from a few things.

1. too much rebound damping
2. not enough compression damping.

is it a springy bounce or a hard, clunky bounce?

·
536 Posts
You can get the Sag set up for the front and rear this is one of the most important things to do first. My suspension mods front and rear including the labor for the forks was somewhere around $850. The Double clicker cost me $600. The springs front and rear are for my weight, this makes setting up the Bike Sag and rider Sag easier. The suspension doesn't make you a better rider but it will give you better feed back as what is going on with the bike. My tire wear was also reduced considerably, my long time riding buddy before he moved had the same bike as me and when we would tear it up the two most noticeable things were 1- he would get loose before I would and 2- he would be balling up his tires and mine would be fairly smooth and not tearing. Keep in mind we were either side by side or nose to rear tire the whole time. We ran the same tires and pressures. He would scratch his head after a ride looking at my tires and his. I swear the Penske stuff handles the heat build up better too. In the end it's a matter of personal preference.

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
my02gsxr1000 said:
The 02' rear shock is nothing more than a spring on stick. The adjustments didn't do anything worth while.
I'd like to think things have progressed a bit, suspension-wise, since 02.. I'm pretty confident the stock equip. can be adjusted to personal preference. If you're racing, like Ant is, and have the $, then sure, why not?

·
536 Posts
Kelevra said:
I'd like to think things have progressed a bit, suspension-wise, since 02..
The bar has been raised allot since 02 for sure, I consider my bike old school now, like it's rider.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts