Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard enough to know that a few people that do track days seem to have Gp shift. This leads to my question: what is the advantage to it? Do you actually shift faster? Is it mor comfortable?

Because of how my "new" shifter is constructed, the only to angle the shifter any more is to flip the gearbox end of the shifter rod 180 degrees, but I was worried that it might take a little gettng used to.

·
584 Posts
I did it. It takes a bit getting used to, even now if I am not thinking about what I am doing I default to the old way.

I think I can run up through the gears faster by stepping on the lever rather than lifting. You have a better feel when you are loading the lever in anticipation of a shift. I clutchless upshift all the time now.

·
Site Supporter
243 Posts
All mine are GP shift. I use it on the race bike because 1. It's easier to shift down than up and 2. If you have to shift leaned over, it' easier to shift without having your foot hanging down.

·
295 Posts
GP shift is great. Nothing wrong with standard but the GP shift makes my downshifts smoother as I'm not banging down the gears as if it was standard if that makes sense. Plus upshifting is a breeze with GP shift. You'll never miss a gear.

·
Site Supporter
215 Posts
I did it and it takes a bit to get used to but now I absolutely love it. Upshifts are much smoother and have a much more confident feel. Can still downshift just as fast. I say give it a try you can always change it back if you don't like it.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
It really comes down to which shift pattern you are comfortable with, if you do change it, then put a shift indicator on the bike to make the learning curve easier.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've done it and it took all of about two times through the gearbox to get used to. Your clutchless upshifts are a whole lot smoother with it GP and it's a ton easier to bang through the gears while you're tucked at speed.

·
315 Posts
I changed mine shortly after getting the bike and would now hove to change all bikes i get.

Up shifting is nice, just rest your foot on the shift pedal with a little pressure and when you roll off the throttle a little bit, it will just fall into the next gear.

·
2,452 Posts
i said i was gonna change mines and i did it today... went through the twisties and it is easier to shift... im leaving it GP....

·
536 Posts
I'm not going to try to teach an old dog new tricks. I'll stick with the standard shift.

·
7,611 Posts
RLover said:
I tried it but having one bike that is reverse and one that's not was a pain in the ass... my fear was mid wheelie shifting the wrong way and loosing it...

I'm playing it safe and sticking with what I know best... no need to put one more caution flag up!
YOU MUST BE TALKING BOUT YOUR HOG AND PULLING WHEELIE:biggrin

And i did it to mine, never going back.

·
2,452 Posts
Fukucacheme said:
YOU MUST BE TALKING BOUT YOUR HOG
Now that you mentioned HOG, now i can kick shift like im riding one. that shit looks so clean when hogs do that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I tried it and liked it but after a few downshifts when I meant to up shift I changed it back. In the heat of the moment your mind goes back to previous training.

Not to mention I switch bikes with friends on rides a lot and this would just complicate things. I can see it's advantages but it would take some time to get used to.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts