Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you use a street bike for a track day? I have an '05 GSXR 750 that is not modified at all for the track. I am dying to do a track day as I am getting too paranoid with riding on the road (cars, cops, crappy roads, etc) but hate the thought of wrecking my only bike and not being able to ride at all.

So I was wondering for those of you in the same situation, what is your opinion on it or how do you deal with it?

I would like to get a track designated bike, but the money is just not there right now. It would be good not only for having a designated track bike but I would also like to get something smaller like an SV650 to start on the track with.

Anyways, just thought I would whine a little (yes, I know, stop being a baby) because I silently read all the posts about track days and want to go so bad, but am hesitant due to the bike situation.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
I only have one bike, I use it for the street and track. I don't really like street riding, but it is nice to be able to hop on and just go for a leisurely cruise or to ride out and meet some friends somewhere to eat or something.

I have full track plastics and have contemplated just going full track, (haven't put them on yet other than the tail since I shattered my OEM one at the track) but I also like the gas mileage etc that I get on the street. It's a tough choice.

I wrecked and had to rebuild mine and it sucked, but it's just something you will have to deal with if you have the desire to ride track. Although it is VERY nerve racking, you will go down on the track sooner or later... You just have to get used to the fact you might have to replace some parts.

I'm in the same boat as you, I want to pick up another bike for the track only, probably a 600 or even a motard, or SV just to start working more on the basic skills and not focus on speed.

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
Plastic Cup Politics said:
I only have one bike, I use it for the street and track. I don't really like street riding, but it is nice to be able to hop on and just go for a leisurely cruise or to ride out and meet some friends somewhere to eat or something.

I have full track plastics and have contemplated just going full track, (haven't put them on yet other than the tail since I shattered my OEM one at the track) but I also like the gas mileage etc that I get on the street. It's a tough choice.

I wrecked and had to rebuild mine and it sucked, but it's just something you will have to deal with if you have the desire to ride track. Although it is VERY nerve racking, you will go down on the track sooner or later... You just have to get used to the fact you might have to replace some parts.

I'm in the same boat as you, I want to pick up another bike for the track only, probably a 600 or even a motard, or SV just to start working more on the basic skills and not focus on speed.
Yeah, a lightly modded SV650 would be a sweet track bike, or find a Salvaged titled 600 on the cheap..

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Dude............I'm in the same boat. I love to go fast and all my TD buddies are track only guys, most of them racers. I have only one bike too. I love to ride twisties with my other friends, and will never give up the street. My prob is I don't trust myself. I'm the fastest of the group on the street, but when I get on the track with my TD friends I'm the slowest. What to do? I just keep working on my form and speed on the track. As long as u don't push it you'll be fine.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
parkone said:
Dude............I'm in the same boat. I love to go fast and all my TD buddies are track only guys, most of them racers. I have only one bike too. I love to ride twisties with my other friends, and will never give up the street. My prob is I don't trust myself. I'm the fastest of the group on the street, but when I get on the track with my TD friends I'm the slowest. What to do? I just keep working on my form and speed on the track. As long as u don't push it you'll be fine.
I guess I pushed a bit too hard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I used the street bike on the track, I would just have to keep reminding myself to only go 85% which is what I should do anyways.

Its funny you bring up the SV, I have been looking at them a lot, and I mean a lot!! I want something that doesn't have a ton of power but is still fun so I can focus on my technique. My fiance's (getting married next weekend, thus the money is tight) brother has a wrecked 2006 SV650 that is just cosmetic damage. He low sided off the road (so was mainly in grass) at like 20 mph. Just rashed the plastics and cracked the windscreen. I would love to get that off him and just throw some race plastics on it. He doesn't seem interested in selling it.

Anyways, the more I talk about this the more excited I am getting. I think I am just going to have to sign up and if I can get my hands on a track only bike by then thats great, if not I'll just have to be careful.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
stevedave said:
If I used the street bike on the track, I would just have to keep reminding myself to only go 85% which is what I should do anyways.

Its funny you bring up the SV, I have been looking at them a lot, and I mean a lot!! I want something that doesn't have a ton of power but is still fun so I can focus on my technique. My fiance's (getting married next weekend, thus the money is tight) brother has a wrecked 2006 SV650 that is just cosmetic damage. He low sided off the road (so was mainly in grass) at like 20 mph. Just rashed the plastics and cracked the windscreen. I would love to get that off him and just throw some race plastics on it. He doesn't seem interested in selling it.

Anyways, the more I talk about this the more excited I am getting. I think I am just going to have to sign up and if I can get my hands on a track only bike by then thats great, if not I'll just have to be careful.
Yeah, That's how you really get fast, is go back to something small and stay on it until you are riding it to it's complete limit, then move up and repeat.

An SV is not only good for that purpose, but it's also cheap to buy, and cheap to race!

·
315 Posts
I'm in the same boat but i have already signed up for a couple of TD's. My first is in May, I am a little apprehensive but excited at the same time.

I think i am more likely to crash on the road because of the unforeseen things that can happen but i plan to ride within my limits at the track because i have the whole season ahead of me.

·
And, Here, We, Go...
8,017 Posts
As far as crashing on the track goes, you are correct, if you focus mainly on your technique in learning the track, and being smooth, you will get faster with a far greater chance of not falling down. It's difficult sometimes though, you want to get out there and go as fast as you can, racing your friends etc.
Once you establish all your key points, i.e. entry speed (into a given turn), when to begin turning, when to start braking, get on the gas etc; the track changes in your mind from a connect the dots to a complete loop with each corner having an impact on the next.. I hope that makes sense, hehe.

·
312 Posts
I'm in the same boat as most of you guys, I ride my street bike on the track, but over here in kiwi land we can get cover for trackdays as long as it's
a. not a timed event.
b. and has been approved by your insurer

When they started doing this the excess was low, about $250-750, but due to people treating their TD's as race days and binning, I know of guys writting off two bikes, the excess is now 2K on all new poilcies.

Lucky I got in early!!

·
1,015 Posts
I take my daily rider to the track. The bike was purpose-built for racing/track days... so use it as one!

I'm planning to get a dedicated track bike soon, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do until then!

·
301 Posts
I was like you . I rode at the track scared of wrecking my only bike. I have since over the winter picked up a wrecked 07 600 for $5600 for the track. If you look around you WILL FIND DEALS!!!!! I plan on riding harder now that if I wreck it wont be my only bike. Good Luck with your decision.

·
Level 7 awesome
34,135 Posts
I do it too, use my street bike for the track. Hard to get over that mental block that if you crash, it's your only bike.

·
1,588 Posts
I used my street bike as a track bike before I bought another street bike and +1 to what squid said..
The mental aspect of crashing your 1 and only bike is a tough thing to deal with. I had 2 friends crash in novice on their first track day.

·
1,560 Posts
i pla on gettin another bike but in the mean time my k5 750 is my only bike....i trakc it alot and yes i've crashed it alot...best thing u can do is invest in good parts up front BEFORE that way at least u can get some money sellin ur stock stuff on ebay, rearsets, clipons, case covers....with the good aftrmarket goodies, ul usally have to replace ony 1 broken part if u crash instead of the whole assy (rearsets and clipons are the perfect example)

·
1,588 Posts
Yeah I just invested in a set of track plastics for this year. I picked them up used and they needed some TLC.. 185 Shipped for the upper, lower, and tail.. I did some repair work on them and Im in the process of painting them now... Hopefully I will be done by this weekend. Im pretty excited about having them and doing all the repair and paint work myself.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I use my street bike for the track as well. It is hard, +1 on what squid said, to get over crashing your only bike. I am looking for a track only bike. You will be fine with your street bike on the track, just have some fun and ride within your limits. Don't worry about competing with others, just ride to have fun.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts