Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tied my bike down like this today. I have it sitting in a Baxley knock off front wheel chock with a canyon dancer and straps for the front.

I was worried about the rear bouncing around and where to anchor to to get good leverage. I ended up putting it on the rear stand to (a give it a wider base and (b elevate the rear to be able to pull down and back.

Too lazy to screw in the passenger pegs. Any who what are the cons of this setup? The only pitfall I could think of would be if the bike did bounce it could possibly break the spools or where they are welded on the frame.

I have to do everything solo so this setup worked for me. I didn't have to compress the forks all that much. I was pulling the bike forward and down as well as rearward and down.

Attachments

·
Level 7 awesome
34,135 Posts
I put mine in a baxley and strap the front loosely and go. I followed a buddy to a trackday one who had his bike so tightly tied down, and on a rear stand and it still moved around. I've never had any problems not trying the rear of the bike down.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I usually run the straps on the rear around the swingarm, and pull forward to pull the bike into the cholk. That does all the work and you don't need to put that much stress on the bars. Try it.

·
Members
5,173 Posts
yah, i go around the swingarm as well. I always do extra ties on the front also but it looks like you did that. Not worth having one strap break and the bike tipping. Better to be safe then sorry.

·
993 Posts
while I have seen guys strap their bikes down like the captain. I like the added rear straps to stabilize the bike more for turns while in a trailer or the back of a pick up. But I have seen several bike come down from having the straps pull in two directions. IMO the front straps should pull the bike not just down but forward to secure the front wheel in the chock (if you are using one) and the chock to the front of the trailer/PU bed. Having the rear straps pull back on the bike only adds force against the fronts, making their job harder. So I would only use the rear tie downs for down ward pulling or to secure side to side.
Everybody has their own way, if you think the bike could come loose then it doesn't hurt to add another pair of tie downs to the front for insurance..

I know some guys who are real anal and use up to 8(eight) tie downs everytime..

·
Site Sponsor
1,445 Posts
Dont use the rear stand for transport. It usually doesnt end well and there is no need to do it. Tie the front down with the Dancer then put a couple extras through the lower triple just in case. All you want to do with the rear is keep it from going sideways. Either hook on to the rearsets or the swing arm.

·
905 Posts
Lose the rear stand, its making things less stable. Ive had a spool break off for no apparent reason during a ride. I would never trust them to hold the bikes weight plus the strain of the straps.

You need to get the tie points for the rear of the bike forward, at the moment they are doing almost nothing to stop sideways movement and just opposing the front straps.

The most secure method ive seen is to put a soft strap thru the frame/subframe on each side near the middle of the bike and tie to a point just forward of (and lower than) where the straps are thru the frame. With the front wheel up against the front of the trailer or a chock, this is enough to make the bike very stable. Then you just need to lightly strap the front so that the front wheel cant turn.

·
Members
5,173 Posts
also on the gsxr the tabs that hold the swingarm spools can break and if so it will fall downward and loosen those straps a good bit. I have never used stands while transporting on a gsxr it's worse w/ the tabs that the spools go on. At time sthey have been known to snap off and you're putting pressure ward downward over them. Hit a bump and one might snap off.

·
Super Moderator
763 Posts
+1 on losing the stand. The bike is going to bounce out of it or snap a spool and either way will end in a scratched or gouged swing arm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
mpdgsxr1000 said:
with a Baxley Chock all you need is two straps on the swingarm pulling the bike forwards, no other straps are required or needed.
Yeah, the Baxley chocks are really nice but they aren't cheap. Although they are worth it. If you don't want to spend that kind of money then the Black and Gray work well.

And I just noticed he has a Baxley

·
132 Posts
Get a Condor chock and just tie down the rear from the pass. pegs or swing arm. Drove from NY to Road Atlanta and the bike didnt move a inch. I dont tie down the fronts at all ......

·
1,560 Posts
dj life said:
Get a Condor chock and just tie down the rear from the pass. pegs or swing arm. Drove from NY to Road Atlanta and the bike didnt move a inch. I dont tie down the fronts at all ......
+1 on gettin a condor....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts