Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why my filter would drip oil, first i put it on and tightened nice and snug and oil leaked profusely, then i snugged it down more until it stopped leaking, now this morning i start it up and more oil is dripping from filter, i dont want to make it any tighter or i may strip the threads, do these gsxr 1000 k8 filters really have to be cranked down hard, im clueless, dont want to damage anything.

·
Members
5,173 Posts
did you make sure there isn't a gasket on there from an old filter? make sure it's going on a clean surface? make sure the filter you put on has a good gasket? If it's leaking around where the oil filter connects then it has to do with the gasket on the oil filter.

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
motomummy said:
did you make sure there isn't a gasket on there from an old filter? make sure it's going on a clean surface? make sure the filter you put on has a good gasket? If it's leaking around where the oil filter connects then it has to do with the gasket on the oil filter.
Exactly.

If there are 2 gaskets on there, or it isn't a smooth surface... it won't seal. I saw people do it all the time with cars. Sometimes the old gasket sticks on when you take the old filter off.

Just make sure the surface is 100% clean before putting on the new fitler.

·
Site Supporter
243 Posts
+1000000 and overtightening it only makes it worse or causes damage!!!

·
584 Posts
And if that doesn't do it, you did/do put a little oil on the new filters gasket before installing don't you? Just checking.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, i oiled the ring seal first, i just actually checked trash and found old filter with no gasket, i cant believe i pulled on of those, it may have fallen off in trash but most likely it is on bike, looks like one more oil change for me, thanks guys

·
Brahptimus Prime
23,504 Posts
jasunto said:
yeah, i oiled the ring seal first, i just actually checked trash and found old filter with no gasket, i cant believe i pulled on of those, it may have fallen off in trash but most likely it is on bike, looks like one more oil change for me, thanks guys
well this will help you remember next time.

·
Members
5,173 Posts
the double oil gasket thing happens all the time. Even if you've done it 100 times if you aren't thinking about it and in a rush it can still bite you in the butt. Just something to try and think about and remember in the back of your head when you're installing the new one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah so i installed new one with 1 gasket and did exactly like book, turned until it contacted engine then did two full turns and that was it no problems, also was a pain to get the oil gasket off the drain nut, thing was stuck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts