Suzuki Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why my filter would drip oil, first i put it on and tightened nice and snug and oil leaked profusely, then i snugged it down more until it stopped leaking, now this morning i start it up and more oil is dripping from filter, i dont want to make it any tighter or i may strip the threads, do these gsxr 1000 k8 filters really have to be cranked down hard, im clueless, dont want to damage anything.

·
Members
5,140 Posts
did you make sure there isn't a gasket on there from an old filter? make sure it's going on a clean surface? make sure the filter you put on has a good gasket? If it's leaking around where the oil filter connects then it has to do with the gasket on the oil filter.

·
Brahptimus Prime
22,678 Posts
motomummy said:
did you make sure there isn't a gasket on there from an old filter? make sure it's going on a clean surface? make sure the filter you put on has a good gasket? If it's leaking around where the oil filter connects then it has to do with the gasket on the oil filter.
Exactly.

If there are 2 gaskets on there, or it isn't a smooth surface... it won't seal. I saw people do it all the time with cars. Sometimes the old gasket sticks on when you take the old filter off.

Just make sure the surface is 100% clean before putting on the new fitler.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, i oiled the ring seal first, i just actually checked trash and found old filter with no gasket, i cant believe i pulled on of those, it may have fallen off in trash but most likely it is on bike, looks like one more oil change for me, thanks guys

·
Members
5,140 Posts
the double oil gasket thing happens all the time. Even if you've done it 100 times if you aren't thinking about it and in a rush it can still bite you in the butt. Just something to try and think about and remember in the back of your head when you're installing the new one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah so i installed new one with 1 gasket and did exactly like book, turned until it contacted engine then did two full turns and that was it no problems, also was a pain to get the oil gasket off the drain nut, thing was stuck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.